We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avira vs Microsoft Security Essentials

Joe G

Likes # 0

Hi all - I have Avira free on my laptop and Windows Vista is very slow to start up and I am getting irritated by the persistent advert to upgrade. I have installed MSE on my new netbook and it seems much less intrusive. Be interested in your views on the two programmes in terms of their performance at spotting viruses and their use of resources. Have been happy with Avira up to now but really considering uninstalling - does MSE have any additional functionality over Avira Free

Thanks for the help as always

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Handy chart comparing features ClickHere

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If Vista is an older machine you will probably have to switch the Anti-malware side of it off as it will slow the computer down using MSE.

As far as I know Avira is the same and you have to switch the anti-spyware off on that as well.

The pop ups can be stopped.

As long as you have a good Anti-malware program installed that gives you full time protection any anti virus program will do.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Oops sorry it is Avira webguard that slows browsing down so maybe switch it off.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Didn't they have a similar problem with Avast recently and the advice was that if you had a slow computer and/or connection, just switch that function off.

Like OP, am a very happy Avira user but haven't yet upgraded to latest version cos, from their support forums, there still seem to be a few glitches to iron out

"I am getting irritated by the persistent advert to upgrade"

A bit unfair, surely? It's once per day, on start-up. I really don't think that's too much 'penalty' for a good free AV package

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for advice - seems like I am just as well staying with Avira on here - and Simple Simon - fair comment - I admit I should not be so ungrateful and feel a bit of a wozzack!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room