We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help to add Wireless access points

Likes # 0

Hello to all the Geniuses

I am trying to help a charity to extend its internet range in to 3 main halls from a nearby house which has internet. BTW the halls are next to each other.

The house and the 3 halls are in the vicinity however not attached together(i.e. wall to wall). The distance between the house and the first hall is approx 1 road width distance.
ISP is Virgin and the internet was installed this year hence has the latest Virgin Home Hub.

I am aware that i probably require 3 wireless access points (1 for each hall). The first wireless access point will need to be connected with a RJ-45 cable running from Home Hub. Can i connect the Wireless access points up together or do they all need to come from the ADSL hub?

I am not sure what Wireless access points would be best and how to go about connecting this all up.

Appreciate all the advice and guidance as am not too sure where to start

Many thanks Bansi

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you use "stand-alone" Wireless Access Points then, yes, they would each have to be wired back to the main router, or to a network switch wired back to the main router, but which could be located in one of the halls. Wireless Access Points cannot communicate wirelessly with one another.

Stand-alone Wireless Access Points tend to be expensive and an alternative method might be to use Cable/DSL Routers (often less expensive), which don't incorporate a modem, but do incorporate a Wireless Access Point. Using this method, a Cable/DSL router would be connected via its WAN port to one of the main router's LAN ports. Computers could then connect "wirelessly" to this second router (in hall no1?).

A second Cable/DSL Router could then connect in the same way to the first Cable/DSL Router, i.e. its WAN port to one of the first router's LAN ports. Repeat the procedure to connect a third Cable/DSL Router to either the first or the second Cable/DSL Router.

With this scenario, all of the routers would have to operate in different subnets (IP address ranges) to avoid address conflicts. This also means that only computers connected to the same router could share Folders & Printers, if that's important.

Like this post
sygateiky

Likes # 0

Wireless Access Points can communicate wirelessly with each other by using WDS / WDS + AP or Bridge Point To Point / Bridge Point To Multi Point.

A wireless distribution system (WDS) is a system enabling the wireless interconnection of access points in an IEEE 802.11 network. It allows a wireless network to be expanded using multiple access points without a wired backbone to link them.

The WDS mode will allow you to get two AP's & talk to each other wirelessly. But they will not allow any wireless devices (eg! PDA, Laptop, etc) to connect to them.

The WDS+AP mode not only allows connection between the AP's but also allows wireless devices to connect to them.

The first wireless AP (root AP) will need to be connected with a RJ-45 cable running from Home Hub.

You should configure first wireless AP as a Bridge to Multi Point Mode.

The first wireless AP (root AP) AP1 is connected with a RJ-45 cable running from Home Hub. AP1 need MAC address of AP 2 AP2 need MAC address of AP1 and AP3 AP3 need MAC address of AP2

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room