We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help! Email account hacked?

PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Hello and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I am panicking! Some of my friends have contacted me today saying they have received emails from me which have clearly my been from me!

I have the latest firewall protection and my email password is always a "strong" one apparently.

How could this have happened and what exactly do I need to do to rectify this ASAP? How much of my security will have been compromised if people I email have received emails that are supposedly by me - what has been hacked exactly - just my email address? Please help.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

In all probability they haven’t originated from your PC at all. Someone else’s PC has been infected and it's sending out spam e-mails with your e-mail address as the senders address. Do the usual virus/malware/spyware scans and if they report that your PC is clean then there’s not a lot you can do about it I’m afraid.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Most likely spoofing E-mail spoofing and not from your pc at all.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks for responding everyone. Sorry my confusion - but if they are not actually from my pc then how are they being sent to my friends?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The most likely explanation is that they only appear to be from you but are being sent by a spammer or someone phishing for details.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes, your email address has been harvested (and your password) and mail sent to everyone in your Contacts list - but as said already not actually sent from your computer. You can confirm that my checking in your Sent mail folder.

The first thing you should do is to change your password, and then hope that things will quieten down. If the problem persists then really the only course of action is to change your email address as well. A nuisance, but not an insurmountable problem.

But also as advised run your anti malware programs just in case

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thanks will do this ASAP.

So Very worrying how access has been made despite latest software used.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Access probably has not been made to your machine but details harvested from somewhere else.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Stop worrying!

Your password wouldn’t have been “harvested” and your compute probably hasn’t been hacked. As I said before run your AV/Maleware/spyware software and if all is clean then don’t worry. Someone else’s computer is sending out e-mails pretending they are coming from you.

Unfortunately it happens a lot.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

Thank you - I will try and stop panicking now. I just can't understand how my contacts were found out and that is what worried me.

Like this post
PC_HelpMe

Likes # 0

I have just checked my "sent" box and the emails that i DIDN'T send ARE actually in there!!!!!!! Now should I be worried?x

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home