We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

questions on clone software

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i have downloaded but not used yet clonezilla but reading majorgeeks it seems its only suitable for 64bit my pc is 32bit

i have also looked at easeus free version. does anyone know if it has the option to make a iso bootup disk if windows will not boot.

i have tried xxcopy & macrium in the past and had proiblems.

used to have ghost which was excellent but expensive for 3 computeers, also w7 image let me down recently so gone off that too.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Clonezilla live suitable for 32 or 64bit

Which Clonezilla Shall I Use ?

Clonezilla Live: Clonezilla live allows you to use CD/DVD or USB flash drive to boot and run clonezilla (Unicast only)

Clonezilla SE: Clonezilla SE is included in DRBL, therefore a DRBL server must first be set up in order to use Clonezilla to do massively clone (unicast, broadcast and multicast are supported)

EaseUS Disk Copy is a free disk/partition clone software regardless of your operating system, file system and partition scheme by creating a bootable CD. Sector-by-sector copy method assures you a 100% identical copy to the original.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

thanks clonezilla live is what i downloaded.

EaseUS is there the option within easeus to create a disk or do you put your own together still a little unsure.[the boot disc when i had ghost years ago came in handy when windows would not boot in the past and saved many a day]

if i bought a large external usb hdd and split into 3 partitions could i clone 3 computer c drives one to each partition so one external drive would backup the lot or is it 3 external hdd for this purpose.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Don't know, I use Acronis.

Only used it in anger once, when trialling Norton 360 bu...... up my c drive.

I just restored an image not a clone. I keep three images on a separate drive.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

fruitbat thanks i will wait see if any others come not worried if i do an image or clone.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Like Fruitbat I use Acronis so cant comment on the other products you mention however perhaps a short explanation may help. Cloning is not really meant for backups its intended to enable you to copy the entire contents of one drive to another including the partition structure so that you end up with an exact copy. Its main purpose is to allow you to swap a drive for a bigger one for example or to replace a failing drive. An image on the other hand is a copy of a drive that can include the MBR. An image usually is created as a file with or without compression. If you use imaging you can save the contents of several PCs to different files on an external drive, you dont need to partition the drive.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

bis thanks for that info, i will go for an image as you suggest.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I havent used W7 Imaging since a few weeks after getting it (2 yrs)

Recently tried Clonezilla (Yuk) and PING. PING managed to delete all my partitions (easily restored with Partition Wizard). Tried some others too, for a look-see. The following remain my favourites.

Easeus Todo Backup (now v3.5) or Macrium Reflect Free (now v5) both work very well, with following notes:

Easeus: Could not get PE boot disc working, (big AIK download prob?) but Linux boot CD is OK, or can boot Easeus Linux instead of Windows from HDD (Tools/Enable PreOS).

It can image, file backup, clone, differential and incremental.

It can backup to a network share (as well as USB HDD or DVD) but the Linux boot cannot restore from Network.

Macrium is twice as quick as Easeus. Imaging only. Not differential or incremental or file backups. Separate conversion util available for VHD files (ImgToVHD). Linux boot CD can restore from network share (unlike Easeus) PE boot CD is created automatically after the aforementioned AIK 1.7GB download. It can create AND restore images from the boot disc.

-x-x-x-

Overall Easeus Todo is much more comprehensive. But slow at 2hrs for my 60GB to USB 2.0 HDD.

Macrium is quick at 1 hr. And a slightly simpler interface?

I use both regularly. (max compression for both)

In view of corruptions on any backup, it is a good idea to have more than one.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Macrium: 'It can create AND restore images from the PE boot disc.' Linux CD is Restore only.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Oh and probably moving the USB drive physically between 3 computers is easiest. Unless you have a Gigabit network it will be painfully slow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen