We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Remove Windows 8 preview

Ozy

Likes # 0

I Had Windows 8 dual booted with Windows 7. I wanted to remove Windows 8. Windows 7 would not let me format Windows 8. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 LIVE, Ubuntu formatted Windows 8 Disk in FAT, (I got rid of Windows 8 boot menu with BSD) now no matter what I tried I could not get Windows 7 to bootup I tried Repair four times that was no good, it just told me it could not repair Windows7, On the formatted Windows 8 disk, I fully installed Ubuntu, to see if it would put a boot menu on, but it did not. On power up it went straight into Ubuntu. I asked Ubuntu to format Windows 7 disk, which it did, I wanted to re install Windows 7. Ubuntu formatted Windows 7 disk in FAT. When I tried to install Windows 7 it would not let me because of FAT, It will only install to NTFS. I will eventually want to uninstall Windows 8 from my wifes computer, and my Laptop, how can I avoid the same thing happening again?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've not played with W8 like that, but, I think it would have been better to delete the partition rather than format it to FAT. Then you could just start again with the W7 install disk and create a partition and format to NTFS.

Like this post
Ozy

Likes # 0

i could not delete it, i tried Computer/ Manage, right click on the disk, Manage was greyed out

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Apparently, http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/29/windows-8/4091853/uninstalling-windows-8/

Microsoft makes it very clear on the Windows 8 download page that the software cannot be uninstalled.

Can you delete the FAT partition using Ubuntu?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try Partition Wizard Bootable CD for the partition operations.

If/when you get to a non-bootable computer stage, boot the Partition Wizard Boot CD again.

Right click Disk 1, Rebuild MBR, Apply, quit, eject CD and reboot.

Not sure that works but worth a go.

Or rather than a clean install of W7, maybe W7 In Place Upgrade. Something like this

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

When I initally loaded DP I changed the default program to Win 7. Because of how I installed the DP I formated it from Win 7 without problems,

This left the boot loader, As I then reinstalled DP I needed to change the defaults again.( as it happens I am still useing it )

You first need to ensure Win 7 is the default option when booting up.

This should allow formatting of the partion which hold both the preview and Ubuntu.

If this is not available try disc management consul and remove the partion reboot and useing the disc Management to creat a new partion

I strongley suspect that the only way to completey remove it is returning to factory settings via disc

Like this post
Ozy

Likes # 0

My laptop is an upgrade from Vista, my wifes computer was a base unit and i bought a retail copy of Windows 7, thankyou sharpamat i will follow your sugestion when i uninstall windows 8 from my computers

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I have just removed my preview and posted how I did it in Windows 8 Forum

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite