We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows cannot start - how safe is my data?

malynx

Likes # 0

Hi. My desktop PC running a fully updated (SP3) Windows XP Pro (32-bit) encountered an error last night - claiming it had to close Windows Explorer to protect the computer (or similar message).

Since then I have been unable to start Windows at all.

Turning on my PC results in the follwing message (which occurs before the "Windows loading" screen would normally appear):

**Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.**

My PC was pre-installed with Windows XP Pro by the manufacturer. I was supplied with a recovery CD. However my major concern is that I had recently transferred all of my files to the PC with the intention of backing up onto a removable HD. The one I had been using has since been erased. So the only copy of these files is on my PC's hard drive!

If I attempt to repair the missing windows file, what risk is there of me losing my data on the hard drive?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated - including how I might save my data before attempting repair, thank you.

• Tags:
  • xp
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

get one of these USB-SATA-IDE-CABLE-ADAPTER or a usb caddy enclosure and take your HDD out of your pc and hook it up to another pc via USB and copy/transfer all your documents/data to another HDD.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

System File

Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System File http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/howdoirepairamissingor_cor1.htm

To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt" where Xp wont boot:

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config ren system system.old ren system.alt systemalt.old copy c:\windows\repair\system copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system exit

To make a recovery console CD download and burn this iso file to a CD http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...