We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

WD 1TB External HDD Question & Help

Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Hello

I have just purchased a WD Ext 1TB HDD My Book Essential Model. Ok, I have plugged in the Ext HDD & Power, the drive installed drivers on XP Fine and I opened up the WD SmartWare Drive showing in My Computer. in their it shows a number of System files and WD related little programmes. I have installed the WD SmartWare software which enables you to choose back up options etc.

The WD HDD has also put in another drive called My Book. I am using the WD Software to back up my nearly full 160GB C Drive Docs etc to the Ext Drive.

Am I correct and is this correct that the "My Book" which is the partition generated from the WD software holds all the Back-up docs at it show the size being 930GB Total Size and the "WD SmartWare" showing size of 442MB and full.

Firstly the missing 70GB I think is normal can someone please confirm. Also is it correct that the WD main drive partition has all these files and progs on total of 3 Folders, AutoRun, Virtual CD Manager, WD SmartWare EXE, Unlock Utility.

With my older Freecom 500GB Ext HDD's I am use to seeing 1 single Drive in My computer.

I thank you all for taking time to read and help me with the above in advance and will call back later today to read my replies.

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...