We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connecting 2 computers

polyal

Likes # 0

i am connected to the internet via a laptop wireless connection running windows 7...i have a desktop running xppro sp3 next to it...can i connect my desktop to the internet via the laptop...if so what's the procedure regards polyal

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

As your Laptop is connecting to the internet "wirelessly", presumably you must have a wireless router. That being the case, you would connect the desktop PC to the router as well, either by ethernet cable or, if it has a Wireless Network Adapter installed, wirelessly.

While it is possible for the Laptop to share its internet connection, this really isn't the best way to go when the PC can connect directly to the router for its internet access. With both computers connected to the router, they are "networked" and you will also be able to "share" folders and printers.

Like this post
polyal

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply unfortunately the desktop cant be connected to the router that's why i need to do it this way even though it might not be as 'flexible' regards polyal

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

OK, so how are you going to connect the desktop PC to the Laptop if it can't connect directly to the router?

To run "Internet Connection Sharing", the Laptop needs to have two network adapters - the "wireless" one with which it currently connects to the router and a "wired" ethernet one with which it will connect to the desktop PC.

The desktop PC needs a "wired" ethernet connection to connect to the Laptop and this is done with a crossover ethernet cable. Because a PC's ethernet port is configured to connect to a Network Switch (normally the LAN ports of a router) and not to another computer, this special cable with some of the wires crossed over has to be used for a direct "PC-to-PC" connection.

Once the physical connection has been set up, the Laptop's internet connection (Wireless Network Connection) needs to be "Shared". Go into the Network Connections folder by clicking the Start orb, typing into the Search box ncpa.cpl and clicking the result displayed. Once in the Network Connections folder, highlight and then right click the "Wireless Network Connection" and select Properties. In the Properties sheet that opens, select the Sharing tab and tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".

When you've done this, the Laptop's "wired" ethernet connection will have the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 but no Default Gateway or DNS Server addresses because it doesn't connect to the internet. The Desktop PC will get its addresses automatically from the Laptop.

Because "Internet Connection Sharing" operates in the 192.168.0.0 Subnet, i.e the Host computer (your Laptop) has the address 192.168.0.1 and allocates an address between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254 to the Client computer (your desktop PC), it is essential that your Router doesn't also operate in this same Subnet (IP address range). The third octet (number) of your Router's IP address must be something other than zero, e.g. an address of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 etc.

Now I'm sure that's going to take some time to digest, so read it through a few times and then come back with any questions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)