We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless homehub connection to using a dongle

lililoon

Likes # 0

Hi, I connected my friends laptop to my BT home hub by wireless connection and everything was working fine. My friend took the laptop home and tried to use his usual dongle connection and this will now not connect to the internet.

Is there something I have done by using it wireless and now trying to get back to the dongle? very confused as have brought the laptop back to my house and it has immediately connected to my hub.

Any help would be appreciated.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

I'm not an expert by any imagination but I wonder if the laptop is now set for accessing your hub.

When at your friends, try clicking on the icon in the system tray and then click on 'Connect to a Network' or something similar. You should be able to see a list of other nearby routers that the laptop can see. One nearest the top of the list, ie strongest signal, will probably be your friend's connection. Click and 'connect' (or double click on the connection) and you should connect.

Depending on what OS you are using, there may be a variation on this. I have Vista on my laptop. It's not set to connect as soon as I switch on, so I do this each time I want to connect. I see a list of neighbour's connections and therefore choose mine.

Previously, I have used a dongle and the procedure was roughly the same but it was on a 2nd PC, running with a dongle. Again, I was able to see other nearby connections.

Alternatively, have you looked in Control Panel, Network & Sharing (or Network variation)? That might help?

Sorry I can't help more. I can only go by my (limited) experience.

If necessary, post back, detailing your friend's Operating System/version, which might be helpful for further help.

Cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would agree with the comments of AroundAgain
Click on the icon in the system tray and then click on 'Connect to a Network'

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"My friend took the laptop home and tried to use his usual dongle connection and this will now not connect to the internet."

Are we talking about a mobile broadband dongle here, connecting via the mobile phone network? If so, switch off the Laptop's WiFi and then try to connect via the dongle's software. Alternatively, when the dongle is plugged in, an entry for it should appear in the Network Connections folder. Double clicking this item should create a connection to the service.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more