We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

xp pro screw up

johnnyrocker
Resolved

Likes # 0

last night i updated malware advisor and scanned pc, it found 1 trojan and 36 malware so i ticked them all and it set about deleting and quarantine them, all went well last night but tonight machine slowed to a crawl so i rebooted in order to carry on my skype conversation, when it resurfaced it said cannot detect webcam or mike so i went to look at device manager it comes up blank and there are no system restore points available any ideas what i have done please XP SP3?

johnny

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

"there are no system restore points available" do you mean literally? if there are restore points but they don't allow a restore then try doing a restore in safe mode.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Malware Advisor is a new one to me.Did you get the name right.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe go back into quarantine and enable them all again and see if that brings back your programs.

Found this but don't know if it is any good.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/Re-Enable-Portable.shtml

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

sorry buteman it might be better known as mbam? antimalware, and i shall try the tips so far and many thanks

johnny

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The only other thing I can think of is sfc /scannow in command prompt but you would probably need the XP Pro CD in case it asks you for it.

There is a way of doing it without the CD but I could never get it to work.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

still no restore points either in safe mode or normal, it seems stuck on todays date and cannot be moved by the arrows at the top ie forward or back ward, went into quarantine and restored all last night ones but no change.

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

it seems i have also lost my sygate and audio controller and a couple of toolbars too

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is this the mbam? link

Seems strange for it to behave like that. If you have the XP disc I would try sfc /scannow first. If that fails then try a repair install, repair XP

As with any repair it's risky so I'd back-up all your docs etc before running any kind of repair.

I'm still baffled why MalwareBytes Antimalware would create this havoc.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

me too, am at the moment running sfc /scan where it is checking file conditions at the moment thanks

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm still puzzled why mbam did this but within the program you can retrieve the log of what it deleted. I'm thinking that a rootkit or some other bug sent 'false' info to Malwarebytes. Worth running all your security software in safe mode. SAS is better in safe mode than mbam.

I'd certainly consider joining the Mbam forums to share your problem, forums

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow