We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re-Build Computer

Richard1980
Resolved

Likes # 0

Evening, right I don't even know where to start ehehe but here it goes... In 2006 I built a computer which would last me at least 5 years, it's now almost 6 years, and poor little guy is struggling...

The thing is, I use to know quite a bit of computers hardware and software, but this was 6 years ago... recently I found out that manufacturers don't do any more parts to desktop... which lead me to a trip to the unknown...

I'm completely lost, Motherboards, drives, cables, everything is looking more and more from the twilight zone for me (yes I'm getting old too).

I know there's a budget for everything including build a PC from scratch like mine but since mine is quite old I just want to upgrade it so I think I wont need to spend a big amount of money (like £1000) since it might be easy to find some parts... I don't want it for gaming or so but mainly I need it touse AutoCAD (don't know if you recognise this software but involves 2D and 3D drafting, with lots of rendering)...

I would like to ask you guys that are definitely more experienced then I am, what Motherboard, Drives, etc would I need to get to achieve this. I'm not asking a top of the charts piece of hardware but more like near the bottom parts but better then what I've got.

Can you help me with this?

Here follows what I have:

CPU:

Processor

Name: AMD Sempron 3400+

Code name: Manila

Brand ID: 6

Package: Socket AM2 (940)

Technology: 90nm

Core voltage: 1.360 V

Specification: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+

Family: F

Model: F

Stepping: 2

Ext.Family: F

Ext. Model: 5F

Revision: DH-F2

Instructions: MMX(+), 3DNow!(+), SSE (1,2,3), x86-64

Clocks (Core#0)

Core Speed:2022.5 Mhz

Multiplier: x 9.0

Bus Speed: 224.7 MHz

HT Link: 898.9 MHz

Cache

L1 Data: 64 KBytes - 2-way L1 Inst.: 64 KBytes - 2-way Level 2: 256 KBytes- 16-way

Cores: 1

Threads: 1

CACHES

L1 D-Cache: 64 KBytes (2 way set associative, 64-byte line size)

L1 I-Cache: 64 KBytes (2 way set associative, 64-byte line size)

L2 Cache: 256 KBytes (16 way set associative, 64-byte line size)

MAINBOARD

Motherboard

Model: ALiveXFire-eSATA2

Chipset: ATI Xpress 200 (RS480) Rev.01

Southbridge: ATI SB600 Rev.00

LPCIO: Winbond W83627EHF

BIOS

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: P1.00

Date: 09/14/2006

Graphic Interface

Version: PCI-Express

Link Width: x8

Max. Supported: x16

MEMORY

General

Type: DDR2

Channels #:Dual

Size: 2048 MBytes

Timings

DRAM Frequency: 404.5 Mhz

FSB:DRAM: CPU/5

CAS# Latency (CL): 5.0 Clocks

RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD): 5 Clocks

RAS# Precharge (tRP): 5 Clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS): 18 Clocks

Ban Cycle Time (tRC): 24 Clocks

Command Rate (CR): 2T

SPD

Slot 1 & Slot 2 contain:

DDR2

Module size: 1024 MBytes

Correction: None

Max Bandwidth: PC2-6400(400 MHz)

Timings Table

JEDEC #1

Frequency: 200 MHz

CAS# Latency: 3.0

RAS# to CAS#: 3

RAS# Precharge: 3

tRAS: 9

tRC: 12

Voltage: 1.80 V

JEDEC #2

Frequency: 266 MHz

CAS# Latency: 4.0

RAS# to CAS#: 4

RAS# Precharge: 4

tRAS: 12

tRC: 16

JEDEC #3

Frequency: 400 MHz

CAS# Latency: 5.0

RAS# to CAS#: 5

RAS# Precharge: 5

tRAS: 18

tRC: 23

GRAPHICS

GPU

Name: NVIDIA GeFORCE 7900 GS

Code Name: G71 Rev.A2

Technology: 90nm

Clocks

Core: 450 MHz

Memory: 660 MHz

Memory

Size: 256 MBytes

Bus Width: 256 bits

This is all the information I found...I'm really lost guys and would really need a guidance from someone that definitely knows more then me. (which is easy eheheh) thanks for reading...and awaiting replies...

Best Regards

RL

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

May I suggest an alternative

Case with PSU click here

ATX motherboard (with extra resources to expand should you wish) click here

CPU (higher model for better rendering speed) click here

Win7 64bit Home Premium (cheaper) click here

Win7 64bit Pro (I'm not sure if your version of AutoCad would work in Win7 & should you need XP mode then this version is the one to go with) click here

8GB Ram click here

1 TB HDD (your chosen HDD,if I'm not mistaken;it's a 2.5" for laptop) click here

SATA Optical DVD-rw Drive click here

Graphic Card GPU (definitely will fit in your case) click here

Total price on Free delivery option with Win7 Home premium £660.63

Total price on Free delivery option with Win7 Pro £696.05

Modem? What modem? I hope you're not talking about internal dial up modem card :), if you mean broadband modem router then you should talk to your ISP, they should provide you one FREE nowadays.

Like this post
Richard1980

Likes # 0

ehehe I am talking about and internal dial up modem card eheheh I told you, my computer is well old eheheheh

Since BT hub connects directly to the computer so it's a wired connection I think I could give it a bit of upgrade but don't know what to go for...

Let me check your spec. give me a sec.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I am assuming that you have broadband? Which would mean a router which you would connect to your PC via an ethernet cable.

Like this post
Richard1980

Likes # 0

The AutoCAD that I use at work it works brilliantly on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit so I might get the OEM...

Like this post
Richard1980

Likes # 0

yes I do.. read my post before yours

Like this post
Richard1980

Likes # 0

PC Case: Coolermaster Elite 334U Black Mid Tower Computer Case - £43.17 (SCAN)

Mobo: GA-H61N-USB3-B3 £70.33 LN41692 – £79.92 (SCAN)

CPU: Intel CPU Core i5 2300 £142.98 LN36729 - £147.77 (SCAN)

RAM: Corsair Memory XMS3 8GB DDR3 £38.16 LN33670 - £42.95 (SCAN)

GPU: 1GB EVGA GeForce GTX 560 SC NVIDIA Graphics Card LN40649 - £157.86 (SCAN)

Windows 7 64-bit OEM LN29163 - £112.87 (SCAN)

HDD: 2x Toshiba MK5061GSYN 2.5 inch 500GB 7200RPM SATA Internal Hard Disk Drive - £108 (AMAZON)

Optical Drive: Sony AD-7261S-0B SATA Writer LN36039 - £21.82 (SCAN)

PSU: 750W PSU, Alpine ALPINE-750W, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.03 LN39193 – £32.02 (SCAN)

CABLES: 2x Startech.com 6 inch PCI Express Power Splitter Cable – £14.08 (AMAZON)

Modem:

TOTAL = £760.46

This is ou it is at the moment. Your alternative gives me a total of £696.05... hmmm £64 cheaper...nice alternative...

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Richard - remember you posted this -"My budget goes between £250-£400"... you are drifting far from this, and you need to ponder long and hard if the expense is really giving you what you need. Sorry if that's being a killjoy. You are building a good system that will last, but it's far from your original budget!

Like this post
Richard1980

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reminder bjh... the main diference is the budget of £250-£400 was to build a computer as soon as possible this meaning a 1 motnhs or 2 weeks... I put in my head that I can go further in costs but it will take longer to build...at this moment I think it might take 4 to 5 months in total but I'll have a decent computer for some years...either way thanks for the warning...

RL

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Ignore my hard- drives as they are 2.5,laptop, you are looking for 3.5 desktop.

My mistake I am in the middle installing windows and messing about with the heating boiler and using the iPad,so chaos reins. I' ll be up and running shortly but *Retep888's * suggestions look good.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Forget about internal dial up modem card for Win7 64bit system, it hardly works.

If you mean you intended to upgrade your desktop to wireless then make sure your BT Home hub is one of the wireless version (if not then ask BT for one ,they should provide you one without charges), get one of these wireless PCI network cards as well. click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...