We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

NO Wireless connections on laptop

chale

Likes # 0

I have a laptop which cannot "see" any wireless connections for whatever reason. After troubloe shooting, it comes up with message " ENABLE WIRELESS" BY SWITCHING ON ETC.

However, turning on the switch using FN + key does not yield any result.

I have looked at the DEVICE MANAGER and the wirless adapter seems OK - no exclamation mark etc.

This laptop used to connect through wireless but not anymore.

Waiting for your help...

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You don't mention the make and model of laptop - are you sure there is not a wireless switch on the front or side (usually on the left as you look at it).

Like this post
chale

Likes # 0

Sorry, its a an MSI CR630 laptop

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I don't suppose you have this on it.

You can use the antenna-like button close to the power switch.

Or try services and make sure WLAN is on automatic.

Like this post
chale

Likes # 0

There is a wireless switch but there is no effect when switched on.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Yes, you're right - there doesn't seem to be a separate wireless switch. To enable wireless you press (and hold down) the Fn key and then press F8 repeatedly until the function is turned on. The wireless LAN LED indicator on the status bar at the front of the keyboard should glow green.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

This is the maual I'm using

MSI CR630 manual

Like this post
chale

Likes # 0

I have done that - switching on and still it does not turn on. I have been to WINDOWS MOBILITY CENTRE and still its showing wireless OFF

Like this post
chale

Likes # 0

Thanks for the user mannual. I have had a look but unfortunatel they do not have a TROUBLE SHOOTING section.

Problem still outstanding.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

What wireless adapter shows in Device manager under network Adapters.

Right click the wireless adapter.properties.Driver.And press update driver it may say it has the latest driver if so just come out again.

I had a lot of bother with my daughters wireless adapter and finally tried a wireless dongle on her laptop and that worked.

So maybe worth a try if nothing else works.

Just wondering if connecting it hardwired would help.At least it should give the proper ISP connection.

If windows7 try network and sharing center and click on to connect to network and see if you get in that way.

Like this post
chale

Likes # 0

I had a go at the Device Manager and checked the drivers - the message is that they are up to date. The only thing I have not tried is uninstalling and installing them again - may be they are corrupt....

By the way, I would love to have the wireless connection working. I have tried wired connection and it works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room