We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting a wireless Router

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I've had a computer for a few years, always using a USB Modem. I've persuaded my ISP to give me a Wireless Router and it's on its way. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me a simple breakdown of connection information. I'm on XP, use a tower not a laptop and, even though I'm on broadband (Talk Talk), I have to click an on screen connection box that appears after boot up, to connect the broadband.Also, when the Router is up and running, will I still get the aforementiond connection box and do I unplug and remove the old Modem or will the Router override it? Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. unplug and remove old modem

2. connect the modem to the PC with the ethernet cable provided

3. run the software (driver) cd that comes with the new modem and follow the procedure to connect to Talk Talk. you will need your Talk Talk username and password.

Once set up, you will be permanently connected no need to log in just click on your browser to get on the net. So make sure you are running some sort of security programs like an antispware and antivirus that start at boot up.

If not using the wireless connection I suggest you disable it as added security to prevent others using your connection.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thankyou Fruit Bat,I was called today by Talk Talk to confirm. Re your advice about connecting via the ethernet cable, she informed me that because it was wireless, there would be no direct connection between the Router and my machine. Could that be the case?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

In my experience - fairly limited to 2-3 installs - setting up a router requires a wired connection first of all. Once the router is set up, then you simply remove the cable between your PC and the router, and connect wirelessly.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Ian, ok it's beginning to make sense...only one thing could stall it, I've had this computer about six years and I don't know whether there are any Ethernet ports on it!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Wireless will only work if there is a wireless card in your machine or you fit a card or use a usb wireless dongle.

Ethernet port looks like this

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Even at six years old, you should have an Ethernet port, I'd have thought. But Fruit Bat /\0/\ makes an excellent point... The simple things are the easiest to overlook.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok thanks both, is there any way or anything I can do to easily check whether or not I've got a wireless card installed?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok thanks both, is there any way or anything I can do to easily check whether or not I've got a wireless card installed?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Most unlikely that a 6 yr old PC would have wireless. However, you can check in device manager to see what items are listed under Network Adaptors.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks onthelimit....can't see one...this rules out a Router methinks??

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......