We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting a wireless Router

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I've had a computer for a few years, always using a USB Modem. I've persuaded my ISP to give me a Wireless Router and it's on its way. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me a simple breakdown of connection information. I'm on XP, use a tower not a laptop and, even though I'm on broadband (Talk Talk), I have to click an on screen connection box that appears after boot up, to connect the broadband.Also, when the Router is up and running, will I still get the aforementiond connection box and do I unplug and remove the old Modem or will the Router override it? Thanks.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

If you have an ethernet connection, then you can still use the router by use of the ethernet cable, or buy a USB wireless dongle if you want to use the pc wirelessly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbssi0_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+wireless+dongle&sprefix=usb+wireless+dongle

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Sorry rubbish link..Have a look at Amazon and type in USB Wireless dongle in search box..Hope that helps.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Yes, thanks iscanut, I'm all set up using the ethernet, just posted a disconnection problem.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

thumbscrew

If you get stuck, you should be able to find the router installation instructions in TalkTalk's broadband support. If that fails, then contact TalkTalk support by telephone, and they will talk you through the way to set up your router (setting up will take about 10 minutes?).

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

yes thanks spuds, I'm actually set up but trying to find out if it cut out because of an internet idle shutdown or not. I lost the internet once when it was on and on the two occasions I've turned the computer off, the Router internet light went off after about 30 minutes....any ideas?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Re: losing connection

It's probably timing out when idle, you need to 'nailup' Idle Time Out to always on ClickHere

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic...spot on, went through your link and found that it's set to disconnect after 30 minutes when idle. Left it at that because I don't see the point of it being on when the machine's shut down.It did however disconnect once yesterday when in use, so I'll watch it closely today.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No, you need to set it to 'always on' because router will reconnect anyway and the way it is 'trained' at the other end's equipment is to give you a lower speed if it thinks connection (your line quality) does not hold.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Lotvic's right: there is absolutely no good reason to be anything other than 'always on'. In fact, I'm amazed that the default on your router seems to be to disconnect after 30 minutes - I can think of no reason why that's a good idea, other than, perhaps, TT doing everything it can to minimise over head on its servers.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks again guys and set to "Always on". Been playing around with it though and am I correct in saying that even if it's only set for a minute or two,it won't cut out if you're doing anything on the computer, or even if you've got a web page or Outlook Express on screen, despite not actually using it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more