We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting a wireless Router

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I've had a computer for a few years, always using a USB Modem. I've persuaded my ISP to give me a Wireless Router and it's on its way. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could give me a simple breakdown of connection information. I'm on XP, use a tower not a laptop and, even though I'm on broadband (Talk Talk), I have to click an on screen connection box that appears after boot up, to connect the broadband.Also, when the Router is up and running, will I still get the aforementiond connection box and do I unplug and remove the old Modem or will the Router override it? Thanks.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

onthelimit is almost certainly right. Even today, it's relatively rare (I think) for a tower unit to come with wireless pre-installed. But fret not! I run all my PCs off USB wi-fi dongles at a fiver a time off eBay, and they work like a dream... (So if you don't fancy taking the case off and sticking a PCI card in there, don't worry.)

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks pal...Dongles...unexplored territory...do they just plug into the USB port and away to go, nothing more?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

They come with a driver (on CD) that you need to install - but yes, you just plug it into an available USB port. A word of advice if that's the route you go down. Generally, when the CD installs, it asks you whether you just want to install the driver, or if you want to install the whole wi-fi manager program. I always choose just to install the driver: that way, Windows manages the connection, and I've found it tends to integrate better than if you let the dongle manufacturer's software run it. Your mileage may vary...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Worry about wireless later. Cable is faster more reliable and more secure + you will need tovable to set up router in the first instance.

If your currently using a USB modem the telephone connection must be near your pc.

Take the phone cable out of the USB modem and connect to your new router - connect router to PC with ethernet cable.

Run the install CD and set up the new router.

If you want to connect other devices by wireless eg laptop - ipad - wii - ps3 this can done later.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Ian, I'm going to email Talk Talk now with the no Wireless news and see what their response is...I don't want to get into major technical work, I'd rather stay with the Modem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

a modern router will work better than your old usb modem - let them send it.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"....can't see one...this rules out a Router methinks??"

A wireless router doesn't need to be used "wirelessly". Your PC will almost certainly have an ethernet adapter installed with an RJ45 port at the back of the PC, per Fruit Bat's linked picture. Use that to connect by ethernet cable, which will probably be supplied with the router.

When you use a router, it is the router and not the PC which connects to the ISP. All computers connected to the router then get their internet access over the network.

To check that you have an ethernet adapter installed, go into the Network Connections folder ("Start > Run", type ncpa.cpl and click OK) and check that there is an entry for a Local Area Connection.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok all, may I say you've been beyond helpful...my knowledge of routers, dongles etc has gone through the proverbial roof....and I've not left my living room!! I did email them and said I had growing doubts,I'll let you know their response.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Greetings mgmcc, sheesh I'm getting spoiled today! Ok, just done that and got LocalArea Connection...Network Cable Unplugged...Fire..NVIDIA n Force networking co. How's that?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Ok, just done that and got LocalArea Connection...Network Cable Unplugged...Fire..NVIDIA n Force networking co. How's that?"

That's fine - it's all you need to use your new router with a wired ethernet cable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?