We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

4oD won't play(Editing hosts file?)

hiwatt
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi folks! I'm trying to view a program on 4oD and it just won't play? BBC i player and ITV catch up work fine.I've tried both IE and firefox!I googled this and others have had the same problem and linked it to the hosts file containing an entry for realmedia.channel4.com and redirecting it but I tried resetting the hosts file back to default with microsoft fix it and it still won't work?Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this?I have the latest version of flash player installed.Is there a way I could just remove this entry from the hosts file and try that?Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Did you reboot after changing HOSTS?

Are you sure the fixit changed it?

My method for editing HOSTS.

Start/Search Notepad. Right click/Send To Desktop (create shortcut)

Right click shortcut, Properties/Compatibility/Run As Administrator.

Then you can open C;\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS and it will allow you to save changes.

You can put a # on any line to 'comment' it out.

There is also 127.0.0.1 webstat.channel4.com

Which would become

'#127.0.0.1 webstat.channel4.com' (without quotes)

However, webstat line is unchanged and I can play the vids.

You could also try disabling any adblock or NoScript type browser extensions/plug-ins you may have and reinstalling latest Flash etc.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi Robin. Yeah I did reboot after running the fix.It said it had fixed it.This has me stumped.I have the latest version of flash player.There is no add ons or anything like that that are blocking anything.Just my firewall but I've even tried disabling that.When I press on the play button to play a video nothing happens.There is no play bar or anything.The reason I mentioned the hosts fileis becuase someone else said it was that but if you have it on your hosts file and it still plays,it can't be that?It's really frustrating as I've tried everything I can think of?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

webstat line is allowed in my hosts. realmedia line is not allowed.

Apart from that, I don't really know.

Some Google links

Try reinstalling the 4oD app?

Easy way to be sure of HOSTS is to rename it hosts.bak and reboot.

Maybe there is an entry hiding.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Robin I don't have a 4oD app installed?I thought you could just watch it the same way as BBC i player etc?So do I need to install an app to view Channel 4oD?If this is the case then this is obviously why it won't play!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You can test if something is blocking 4od here .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It plays ok for me in the browser. Check your security software has some sort of Ad blocker.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Yes, I was I confused they other day. I don't have a 4oD app either, but I am sure I did install one a year or so ago. Doesn't show now. Try a full Flash and Silverlight download and reinstall of whatever.

search flash download and silverlight download.

FIRST Uninstall both with Revo Uninstaller or Control Panel Uninstall/Add Remove

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I only mentioned Silverlight for sake of completeness. Not sure it is relevant.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks folks!Thanks for that link rdave.It's not working.It's saying "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at realmedia.channel4.com."This is definitely being blocked by the MVPS hosts file.I've got to figure out how to allow this site?I'll try Robinofloxley's suggestion.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

hiwatt

If you're using Norton that has an ad-blocking side to it. Your hosts files, if it is set to default, should be

Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

space.

Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

For example:

102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 localhost

Sorry for the shouting.....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to