We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cloning SATA HDD

Procrastinus
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have run Norton Ghost 2003 successfully for several years with no problems until recently. Now when I try to clone C to D (both SATA), the clone fails. I have reinstalled Norton Ghost 2003 and reformatted the D drive back to NTFS. However after several attempts, the cloning still fails and the D drive appears in Disc management as reverting back to FAT. I have replaced D drive with another spare HDD, formatted to NTFS, with the same results - failure and revert back to FAT. The OS is WinXP SP3. Any ideas?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Did you select quick format? It doesn't check for errors.

Run chkdsk c: /r as Admin. Then D:

Or

Right click, the partition, Properties, Tools, Check for errors.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

Thanks robinofloxley, The second disc I put in had a full format, but with same results as the original drive.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

Thanks robinofloxley, The second disc I put in had a full format, but with same results as the original drive.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

Apologies for the above double posting. Ran an error check as well - no errors reported.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

if you cannot get ghost working, a free clone software is clonezilla

http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

i only downloaded this evening not used it yet.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

One that I have used in the past with success is Easeus Disk Copy. Free to use and downloaded from here - Easeus Disk Copy

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

Thanks sunnystaines and canarieslover for your suggestions. I think I now have the root of the problem - a failure of the main HDD. No longer able to boot at all. I think it's incipient failure was the reason for the inability to clone. New HDD will be fitted tomorrow and fresh reinstall.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)