We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's best quality DVD +/- recording blanks

Muergo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've used several different makes of DVD recording blanks but can't decide which is best over the long term for storing home video.

Anybody got any strong preferences, price not important.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I always use Verbatim or Maxell DVD-Rs. Have home videos on some going back 8 years and still play ok.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

Have a look here. Taiyo Yuden seems best. I agree with Rdave about Verbatim. Best DVD Media

Like this post  
Bapou

Likes # 0

Verbatim every time. Beware of non branded + or - I've lost files when computer no longer reads discs stored for some considerable time.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Thank you everyone and especially Zurdo for that excellent informative link.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

None of them are really certain to last agreed Verbatim is good but you would be better off with an external hard drive if you mean realy long term storage

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I am using external hard drives for long term storage but need copies for the family some of whom do not have a computer but can play back through their TV's, that's why I want discs to be compatible with standard DVD players.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Looking at the Imation and Verbatim discs, they both say "Made in India" and the Fuji photo grade doesn't give origin at all, the review says all Indian production is bad so still not sure what to get.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Looking at the Imation and Verbatim discs, they both say "Made in India" and the Fuji photo grade doesn't give origin at all, the review says all Indian production is bad so still not sure what to get.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Ah! fair enough Muergo but not exactly what it said in your post aside from that re India verbatim are made by Mitsubishi and if you install free dvd identifier it will give you all the Gen on any disc youll see it aint what it says on the Tin DVD Identifier

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Yes I saw what was on the can and the identifier, going to run through that tomorrow but looking at various other consumer feddbacks I see that Sony get a five star from almost everyone so as I'm running short of DVD-, still have DVD+ and RW and CD-R etc I bunged a quick order for a spindle of Sony DVD-R with Amazon, then will run same shoot through them and see the results.

Talking about dye colour on that link, I see that it's usually purple for DVD and green for CD. but the Fuji pack of CD-R which I assume is for stills, is shiny jet black on the recording side unless that's a further protective layer.

I am not sure yet whether to splash out on a Blu-ray burner as the blank discs are still so expensive, and what would they do apart from increasing capacity on one disc, the same applies to dual layer DVDs, they don't seem to be widely popular although both of my burners will do either.

Once I get sorted I'll stick with it, but who knows what they will be like in 20yrs time, same goes for my Ektachrome transparencies I am carefully trying to scan, some have gone off colour, probably when I was processing them at home in the bath!! Not me, the film.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do