We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

microsoft advert removal

regi1

Likes # 0

is there any way of stopping the current microsoft advert on the pcadvisor homepage from starting up automatically every time i access the homepage here? the only way i can stop it is to click on the address a second time and reload page. its really annoying

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

We use the site for free so it's a small price to pay by having an advert on startup,after all the site has to be paid for somehow.

Like this post
regi1

Likes # 0

Thats a fair comment,thought id just overlooked some way of bypassing it,as ive never had one of these ads that takes over the whole page on this site before. Thanks for taking the time to view and comment.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

In my experience most forums are free but they do not seem to need to have intrusive ad to help support the website.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have Spywareblaster (free) and do not see the advert.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

gengiscant

'Most forums'don't have anything like the content and/or traffic that we have, and they don't cost anywhere near the amount of money that we have to spend each year just to keep the site going.

We don't set out to make advertising intrusive, but if it seems to be the case we try to do something about it. Sniping at us - as you seem to want to do every time you get an opportunity - isn't really going to achieve anything.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Forum editor

Most forums do not have the traffic and/or content,I beg to differ. As for snipping at every opportunity, there are/have been enough separate posts concerning the various intrusive adverts over the past weeks/months yet it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to rectify the problems. Surely ads are checked before going live? Whereas I am reasonably computer literate and able to block these bloody ads others may not be able to.I am still working on blocking them on my ipad2 but surely blocking defeats the object of having ads in the first place?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Differ as much as you like,but it's a fact. Our site is ranked the seventh most popular magazine site in the world for UK traffic,and is the World's Number One Technology Magazine Website for UK Audience.

There's no need to use swear words by the way - you can make a point without descending to that.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

mole44

I'm with you on this one...

"the site has to be paid for somehow."

after all it's not like they can use money from adverts in a magazine to pay for the site, is it? Or at least partially, the rest of the money needed could be provided by less obtrusive adverts.

Yes I know the saying 'sarcasm is the lowest form of wit' but I still find it very satisfying and not a swear word in sight. That can't be bad...sorry gengiscant, I couldn't help myself :)

However, for what it's worth, as 'john bunyan' I also use 'SpywareBlaster (free)' as well as 'AdBlock Plus (free)' and as such I don't see any annoying ads either, anymore!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

No offense taken, I think it is quite amusing that someone should be offended in this day and age by the word I used. As for the magazine I stopped reading that months ago.

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

FE I do not know wether you had taken cognicence of my thread CLICK HERE I am not an absolute beginner and yet it took me a long time to get passed the MS advert and finally had to revert to an adblocker to overcome the MS abuse of your forum.I do not know how many other adverts that I have blocked because of this seemingly abuse of power, but I do hope that they (MS) have apologised and compensated you for (if any) down turn in advert revenue

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia