We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer Won't Start

SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Hi All, I have a self built computer that has had a PSU problem, I have replaced the PSU but it won't start up, it has an Antec 500 case, MSI K9AGM3 motherboard and a ATI PCI-E graphics card. Sometimes when I switch it on it tries to start the case fan and CPU fan but only for a split second. I have tried swapping the power switch plug with the reset plug, but still no joy, I have double and triple checked all the connections and they seem ok, does any one have any tips or ideas I can try? Many Thanks, Phil

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Disconnect HDDs and DVD drives an retry

If Ok then reconnect one at a time to find the faulty one.

If still will not boot remove all bu one stick of memory and retry

Also check for shorts between motherboard and frame.

Like this post
SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Hi, have tried your suggestions but still no joy, I know the PSU requires a current draw to kick start but I don't quite understand what this entails, can you help. Phil

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like mew PSU is faulty or old PSU took motherboard with it.

PSU usually requires a load across it before it will respond to the start signal.

PSU TEST http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/ps4.htm

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt2.html

Like this post
SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Hi, I have tried just about everything I know now(not a lot!), the case and CPU fans just make a little jump, as if they are trying to start and then nothing, I am now losing the will to live! Phil

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded