We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connected hardware

pellim
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've always observed the warning about clicking a certain icon in the taskbar - "safely remove hardware." Now that I'm using Windows 7 I haven't got this icon in my taskbar. Can anybody tell me how to safely disconnect peripherals - or find this icon?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-safely-remove-hardware-in-windows-7.html

You can also safely remove devices from the Computer folder. Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click Computer, right-click the device you want to remove, and then click Eject.

Safely remove hardware icon lost

You are using your USB flash drive but u can't remove it because the safely remove icon has disappeared. Sometimes Windows accidentally hides this icon all you have to do now:

Right click on the clock in the notification area Click on Customize Notifications

On the next window:

" Safely Remove Hardware " to scroll the list of columns, and choose Always show

Next Step

Go in Control Panel - Add/Remove Hardware On your left click on the Add/Remove Windows Components Then double click Networking Services in the list Uncheck the UPnP User Interface Press ok to validate

Final Step

If you are at this stage, then you have other problems that this famous icon (loss of sound, unable to use other USB Plug and Play, ... etc). In this case, you should check the status of the Plug and Play.

Right click on My Computer> Manage> Services and Applications> Services Search the list the Plug and Play Make a double click it.

-If you receive this error message, click OK -The properties window will appear - Choose Automatic in the Startup Type.

OK and restart your PC.

Like this post  
pellim

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat for all the info. The icon is in place now when I use a flash drive, but not when I'm using the printer. I take it that since a printer doesn't store information, the "safe" procedure isn't necessary. However, I'm feeling pretty daunted looking at all the stuff I have yet to get familiar with! Thanks again, I'm just so grateful for all the expert help I've had.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features