We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows 7 starter ISO download

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

tried a few sites I know are reliable but "starter" not listed, a google brings a a host of dodgy sites.

anyone know one please, just want to keep handy in case i need it for my netbook at a later date if the hdd goes belly up.

• Tags:
  • w7
Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ClickHere Paragraph headed 'Activate a different language or bit edition' says "the bootable disks can very easily be converted into universal installation media supporting all Windows 7 editions" and gives details on howto.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Lotvic

I am still lost this link shows ultimate,pro and home.

are you saying dowload any of them, and if i put in a "windows 7 starter" edition serial key it will only load "windows 7 starter" edition when it is installed.

also i have a widows 32bit ulitmate dvd [ used im my homebuilt desktop]would the same apply to that if i loaded and entered "windows 7 starter" edition serial key it will only load "windows 7 starter" edition when it is installed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use an imaging program like Acronis to copy the whole hard drive (hidden partition as well).

you can then load the image to a new drive or even a bigger drive.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Although it is untried by myself:

Yes, IMHO that's how I interpret it, but only if you have used the ei.cfg Removal Utility. before burning the DVD.

"The file named ei.cfg in the sources folder restricts the choice of Windows editions that can be installed with that particular DVD"

Your second point, No wouldn't work on your existing DVD as it still has the ei.cfg in the sources folder which restricts it to only accepting 32bit ulitmate key.

(note: I would get the SP1 U (media refresh) edtion, saves having to mess about installing SP1 afterwards and can be used if you ever do a sfc /scannow)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

lotvic and fruitbat thanks

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Windows 7 Starter seems to have the normal Backup and Restore Center for making System Images and Repair Discs.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

thank you

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more