We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

help with suspect virus

edd78

Likes # 0

dona scan using malwarebytes the scan say's that i have infected files on laptop then ran a scan with my security provider norton using there power eraser tool and came back clean so dont know who to believe

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I would go with Malwarebytes and run a full scan after updating Malwarebytes.

Like this post
edd78

Likes # 0

can i update malwarebytes even though i have the free version

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Not only can you update Malwarebytes - you should always update it before you run a scan. They have at least one update of the database each hour.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did you make a note of the name of the infection? There is the slight possibility that it may have been a false positive by malwarebytes and you ought to check it out.

Yes you can update free malwarebytes, you should have been doing that regularly.

In the 'Settings' tab I have mine set to warn me if database is outdated by 7 days.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin, I'd better alter my 7 days to a lot less, didn't realise they updated database so often. Duly noted :)

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

It is possible to set up a scheduled task to auto update the free version of Malwarebytes - this is how to set it up for either XP or Vista (W7).

Auto Update

Or there is an App called SMBAM which (again using scheduled tasks) which will auto update and then run a quick scan. I've never tried the latter myself, but it looks promising.

Auto Update and Scan

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks