We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Program to partition an external hard drive (2 terabytes)

nerawan

Likes # 0

Hi. I have a large external hard drive and want to make several partitions. Also I have PartMagic 7 and Easus 7.1. Both of them see the external HD but the option to make a new partition is gray. An hour ago I downloaded paragon Partition manager 11 but it's worse. The interface is not very friendly and even doesn't see the external hadr drive. can someone tell me what programs do it?. I use XP. thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition v.7.0 supports disks over 2 TB is FREE and available for download from here enter link description here It is the best partitioning tool I have ever used - so simple to use although I haven't got a 2TB HDD. This is what it says - Runs as a stand-alone program on a user's computer Pros: Fast performance, easy to use graphic interface, supports RAID drives, supports disks over 2 TB, bootable recovery CD available for download, can repairs Master Boot Records (both MBR and GPT formats). Supports Linux ext2 and ext3 files systems. Data Protection mode allows for more non-reboot required editing scenarios, and the recovery media offers much of the functionality of the full, online program. Cons: Recovery media requires separate download

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

More about it here enter link description here

Like this post
nerawan

Likes # 0

Hi NorthUmbria. It looks the situation is the same. I just downloaded ,it sees the external partition but the option CREATE (partition) is Gray out. When I red about it b4 downloaded I didn't see anything about external hard drives.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can only create a new partition in Unallocated space. Right click to resize or delete an existing partition. Right click Unallocated to create.

Also, you can only have a maximum of 4 partitions per disk.

Or you can have, say, 3 Primaries and 1 Extended Partition. The Extended Partition may contain a number of Logical Partitions.

My main drive on my laptop here, for example, has 3 Primaries and 4 Logicals.

The external drive is 1 Primary and 3 Logical.

It can take a bit of juggling to get the Extended Partition right if you need one (or it did for me).

Get anything wrong and the option gets greyed out.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You can only create a partition on an area of the drive that is not being used.

Open Easus select your Primary partition and reduce it's size. You can now create further partitions in the empty space.

Like this post
nerawan

Likes # 0

Hi Robin. Probably you are right. I will try in the next days. i use this drive to copy movies (at the moment I have used 320 gygas). A few of them are blu-ray that take a lot of space. I'm trying to shrink and transfer to 25 gygas Blu-ray and them delete them. after that i will make the partitions. thanks

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

May I ask:

What is the logic of partitioning an External Drive?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Chacun a son gout

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I have never found any problems useing the inbuilt tools in windows. With your external drive connected,go start,control pannel,system, then strol down to Admin. there you should have the option to select drive management. I find opening this will display all the connected drives with their sizes.From the one relating to your external, you can by formating first then shrinking to the sizes you want. each partition can be formated and set up as you wish

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings