We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

REALLY Slow boot up

amonra

Likes # 0

I have an old Dell Dimension 8400 which served me well for years and was kept as a standby in my study. Last week I decided to give it a birthday and ran the defrag program on the C drive running Win XP. (The D drive had another copy of an old XP). I clean forgot to check it until a couple of days later, didn't bother to check the screen, just shut it down normally. I restarted it the following day, the screen was screen stuck on XP logo loading. To cut a long story short, after various attempts to analyse the fault, I finally managed to get it to load in safe-mode, but it took AGES ! Talk about glaciers moving, this was like watching paint dry. Any attempt to open any program was pathetically slow, I mean like 5 minutes to open Word. I didn't bother any more, I tried to reinstal Windows from the installation disk. I'm still waiting for it to come to the Language page after about 15 minutes ! Has anyone any idea as to what is wrong ? Has the M/B died a death ? The memory still shows 2Gb and nothing else looks "off". I'm really baffled, could something have over-heated during the long defrag ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I think best bet is to do a full format from the CD during setup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...