We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Editing Video / saving to PC

pgj

Likes # 0

I have a Panasonic VDR-D300 video cam. I am running Widows 7 basic and Office 2010. I can save the contents of a disc via my recorder to my PC. The files seem to be divided up so that when I stop a new file is opened but if I paused the recording only one file is created. My problem is that I have tonight tried to edit my recordings into separate files or at least that’s what I wanted to do. However, when I open a file with Widows Movie Maker the clip there available for editing only last to the first edit point and I cannot see to edit the other parts following that first pause. First can anyone help and let me know why this is. 2) Is there and easy to use free video editor any one would recommend. I basically want to edit family videos taking out some bits, divide them up into different set pieces and in some case have hobby clips I can load up to YouTube. Many thanks

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

What type of disk and recording mode are you using in the camera? Page 23 of the manual says there are three disk types that can be used DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R and two recording modes dependent on what disks are used DVD Video Recording format (VR Format), or DVD-Video format (Video format), and have you read about finalizing and unfinalizing certain disks?

I can save the contents of a disc via my recorder to my PC- is that using supplied software to capture the recording contents?

Have you tried putting a disk in your pc's dvd/cd tray, then right click it in My Computer and opening it to view its contents?

I don't think there's much free video editing software online which is easy to use, but plenty of free time limited trials of commercial video editing packages available, Arcsoft Showbiz, Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio etc..

Have a look online for free trials of some of these for example

enter link description here

If you had a higher version of Windows 7, Live Movie Maker should have accepted the mpeg2 format I think your camera produces.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Reading a bit more of the manual as best I can see with this camcorder you can do all sorts of simple editing of the type you mention in the camera itself, personally though I think I'd be inclined to use a DVD-R disk for filming in DVD Video mode , finalise it after recording, open the contents of the disk in My Computer just to check it has a Video TS folder with a number of VOB files inside that folder, just like a normal DVD video disk.

For free then you could use DVD Shrink to access the disk and Shrink in ReAuthor mode will enable cuts to be made, or alternatively something like one of the Video Redo products free trials which doesn't re-encode the whole edited work so helps preserve the quality of the VOB mpeg2 which can suffer with re-encoding. Looks a good camera though with 3CCD's.

Like this post
pgj

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for the help. But all sounds a bit Double Dutch to me. I thought I'd got a video camera I could just point and shot with and then upload to my computer and edit. I do know I have to finalise discs. I’ve found the only way I can get them on my PC is straight from the camera as they will not play in my pc DVD/disc reader. I'm using DVD-R 1m4 GB video discs and DVD-RW. I have items recorded as long ago as 2008 on disc and have ended up giving up every time I have tried to get them on my PC for editing.

"I can save the contents of a disc via my recorder to my PC- is that using supplied software to capture the recording contents?"

I have simply plugged my camera into mu PC and it shows up like an external hard drive I have then just copied the files across. I can play these files perfectly with windows media player but when I open them in movie maker they just don't open completely....

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

You're using DVD-RW and DVD-R disks and capturing in DVD-Video format ( Video format), ie normal DVD video disk format.

The files you drag across to your hard drive, these are after finalizing the disks?

If as I suspect they are mpeg2 type vob files I would expect Windows Movie Maker to have trouble with them, however most commercial video editing software will accept input of the DVD video disk mpeg2 vob file, but not WMM in your case.

Can we try and find out what video file types they are that play OK in Windows Media Player by making the normally invisible by default file extension that follows the files name, visible.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If the files are in any form of Mpeg download Videoredo http://www.videoredo.com/en/Download.htm , there are versions to either edit only or edit and create DVD, all on free trial for 30 days.

This program has the ability to join multipart video together and / or edit out what you do do want, and it is fast.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...