We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

? Can a laptop keyboard be 'locked', please?

AroundAgain
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi

Windows Vista

When I am using my laptop, my kittens just love to walk across the keyboard, as they do.

Is there an easy way to 'lock' the keyboard when not actually needing to type? It would be a great help, I think.

Cheers

Like this post
audeal

Likes # 0

AroundAgain: I just came across this link and thought of you. It sounds good from the reviews.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/toddlerkeys.html

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I still haven't had time to check through the Google link sent by Buteman but have since Google'd using a variety of keywords and not come up with any keyboard shortcut for this model of notebook.

However, I eventually got through to Acer Techies and I was told there was no such keystroke. I'm still not convinced as one of my kittens managed to achieve EXACTLY what I wanted so there must actually be a combination but no-one knows it!!! ;)

@northumbria61 - yes, I do take your point ;)

Keyboard locker - robinofloxley

Pitbull screensaver? - Took me a while ;) but umm, thinking on that ...

@buteman - I checked through this and couldn't find anything that locked the keyboard

@Taff - I didn't know about that; have changed closing to 'do nothing' as that will be useful but still can't read the screen while the keyboard is locked! I do appreciate your 'being in the same shoes', though

@audeal - Although it's not quite what I had in mind, I do like it. I thought maybe using robinofloxley's suggestion (timed yesterday 9.36pm) seeing as I have now worked out what he meant - love it!!! With slide show and appropriate matching sounds might stop 'em for good!!! He! He! Actually, I think my friend could use the toddler key program!!!

So, having had all this variety of suggestions, until I (maybe) happen to discover the keystrokes, I will download Keyboard locker, as suggested by robinofloxley, and see how that works.

As I said, I have done what Taff suggested and can just close the lid if necessary. So, I will have two options.

Thank you, all, for all your help and suggestions. I have appreciated it all, and certainly the humour this thread has contained.

Cheers and thanks to you all

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They locked it up by treading on several keys at once and generated a fault.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They locked it up by treading on several keys at once and generated a fault.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Oh, and there was me thinking she was clever !!! ;) So, they caused a 'fault'? That's disappointing, really ... Still, will try the Keylocker download and see if that helps. Thanks, Woolwell Cheers

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I think all you cat lovers should get yourselves a MAC then you can choose either a Snow Leopard or the latest Lion !!

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Umm ... think I'll go with the pitbull .... ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite