We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Date and Time wont stay set

DAKAR
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all A question from my friend who is an elderly gent,he is running XP and finds in the last few weeks his date and time wont stay set,sometimes reverting to 2002 and time at 00.00 he reads the papers on line and he says he doesn't get the right days papers,he says he alters the time and date but it wont stay set. Any Ideas that I can help him with please Thanks Kind regards Dakar

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

It sounds as though his CMOS battery needs replacing

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CMOS battery has gone flat

Don't pay PCworld prices you can get them alot cheaper from places like Wilkinsons.

CMOS Battery http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article.php?id=81

once fitted the date and time will need to be set in BIOS and Windows which will probably update itself after connecting to the net

Like this post
The Old Mod

Likes # 0

Same, CMOSbattery.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thanks rawprawn Where is this battery located.and are they different types? I will get one and replace it for him,and once I have done that is there anything I need to do or just boot up? Thanks very much for prompt reply as usual. Regards Dakar

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone CMOS battery it is then, Regards Dakar

Like this post  
rawprawn

Likes # 0

You can't miss the battery it's in the mother board and easy to see. Just follow the instructions, you need a CR2032 battery. I got the last one from an ordinary electrical store. You should really make a note of all the BIOS settings, but if you just boot they will all reset to default.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded