We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Browser problems!!

smugladybug

Likes # 0

I have been using my laptop at my daughters via her internet connection with no problem. Since coming back from holiday I can connect to my own provider (Orange) but cannot browse to any web pages. I have tried system restore but makes no difference. I have a 2nd laptop which I use when I travel and use a USB connection (Orange) so I tried the USB connection on my home laptop and I can browse any webpages. Now I'm lost!! Is it my router that's the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Smug

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make model or router (Livebox?)

I think you may need to reset the WAP / WEP(security passphrase) in your laptop.

Can you connect to the router with a ethernet cable and browse the net?

Like this post
smugladybug

Likes # 0

Thanks for reply Fruit Bat.

My router is Livebox.

I haven't tried the ethernet cable but I will give it a go.

Not sure how to reset the WAP/WEP code. Do you mean delete it and re-enter it? Do I go to Internet Options?

Help really appreciated.

Thanks

Smug

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

IF the Livebox is switched off or powered down then it resets to it factory settings.

If you can connect to the livebox BUT NOT get any web pages to open you need to cahange the security setting in the live box.

To change the setting

1. Connect to the live box with an ethernet cable.

2. http://configuration.adsl/ or type http:// configuration.adsl/ (without the space) in your browser address line.

3. you will now be connected to the livebox click on "Access to the configuration pages (access to these pages is restricted, you must have the password)."

4. Input the username and password (admin for both if you have not changed it)

5. Click Configuration - Advanced - Wireless

6. You will see that it is set to WPA or WEP security click and set to WPA security only

7. Click submit and wait for the livebox to reset itself.

8. Disconnect the ethernet cable and you now should be able to connect by wireless

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'