We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound not working

Tycho

Likes # 0

I have recently resinstalled XP on this old computer. Sound no longer works. I have looked in the device manager and see that Other devices -->Ethernet controller and Video Controller both have yellow queries and Sound, Video and Game Controllers --> Multimedia Audio Controller has an exclamation mark.

Whne I was first trying to sort out this problem the Multimedia Audio Cntroller object was in Other devices. I looked for a driver for this and downloaded one and tried to install it but it crashed the system which had to repair itself.

Any ideas as to where I should go from here?

T

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ethernet controller and Video Controller both have yellow queries and Sound, Video and Game Controllers --> Multimedia Audio Controller has an exclamation mark.

You need to load your motherboard drivers disk of find the relevant driver downloads from the manufacturers site.

Make model of PC / motherboard?

run SIW free http://www.gtopala.com/ to find exactly what equipment is in your machine.

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Hm...

I was given this computer some years ago and have no discs with it. I have recently bought another copy of XP because I needed a clean reinstall.

Belarc advisor tells me:

Hewlett-Packard HP d230 MT(DK601AV) System Serial Number: FRB40408PV Enclosure Type: Desktop

and

Board: Lite-On Tech. 0884h Bus Clock: 133 megahertz BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1.09 11/14/2003

and

Multimedia Audio Controller

and lots of other stuff that I don't think is relevant. Will this be the stuff that SIW free wold have given?

Thanks for the help so far.

T

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

It seems HP no longer provide drivers for your PC, the only thing I can suggest is that you use one of the (paid for) driver sites. A few years back, PCA provided a copy on the cover mounted DVD, but I can't remember the name of the site or the software.

I'm sure the FE would know. Be careful with these sites, and don't use one unless its recommended. Unless you can find the original MB disks it's the only way to go....

It's just come to me . Driver Genius is the trusted one, and should be able to find the drivers you need.

http://www.avanquest.com/UK/software/driver-genius-free-driver-scan-133290?meta=pc-utilities&cat=pc-security-pc-health&sub=drivers&lp=1&gclid=CJGm9q_-n6wCFZJc4Qod7F4sAg

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

Thanks both.

I have click on the link that Fruitbat posted and am now downloading the Audio driver while keeping my fingers crossed (difficult when typing :-).

T

Like this post
Tycho

Likes # 0

That was 100% successful. Thanks FB.

T

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite