We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error messages on bootup

avesnes1
Resolved

Likes # 0

When booting XP professional on 3 year old PC, the following messages appear:- "02B0: Diskette drive A error"

"CPU has been changed"

This problem started when CPU battery failed. Having replaced the battery, the messages still appear. Bootup continues normally when F1 pressed as prompted by the screen.

Grateful for members' comments/guidance. Thanks in advannce for any advice.

avesnes1

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Because you have replaced the CMOS battery the BOIS settings have been reset. The diskette drive error is probable referring to a non-existent floppy drive, so you will need to disable the floppy in the BIOS. Not sure about the CPU has changed gain it will be a BIOS problem but a minor one.

What is your make/model of motherboard? and I'll see if I can have a look at the user manual.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

gengiscant, Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay. The problem is on my brother-in-law's machine and I've had to wait for him to download and run the Belarc software that generates all the information about his machine. This he has now done and he has liasted the following:-

Following your advice, I loaded Belarc and the main circuit board is:

Board: FUJITSU SIEMENS D2660-A1 S26361-D2660-A1 Serial Number: B056B843 BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 6.00 R1.02.2660.A1 06/26/2007

It also mentioned under controllers :

Standard floppy disk controller Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0 Primary IDE Channel [Controller] Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Regards and thanks again for any guidance.

avesnes1

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

reboot enter setup (BIOS)

select Load Default (or safe) settings

Save and exit (F10)

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

Just to complete this posting. I sent the suggestions from gengiscant and FruitBat to my brother-in-law and he has emailed me to say:-

"Thanks for that. I selected default settings, saved them etc and it didn't make any difference. However, I had another look at the various bits in BIOS and it duly showed the diskette drive A - 1.4mb. There is an option to change the size of the diskette so I thought I would fool the machine by putting it to zero. It turned out that this wasn't an option but while trying, the option for "diskette - none" appeared. Having selected this, the problem is no more.

Everything boots perfectly now.

Thanks again for your trouble."

Thanks again, gengiscant and FruitBat, for your replies.

avesnes1

Like this post  
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Glad its sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks