We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP Home

K*B

Likes # 0

Hello friends. My Win XP Home edition refuses to recognise a USB 2.0 Flash Disk. Any solution? Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Does it work in another machine?

Somethings to try:-

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip

or

In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Go to device manager (Press START and BREAK together), select Hardware, device manager.Have a look to see if any of the devices have a Yellow cross on them, if so highlight that item, right click and select disable. Select any other item and go to the top and select ACTION , scan for hardware changes.

This will force the system to re-check and if necessary re-install the device.

Terry

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

Friends, sorry for long silence. I went to Device Manager to try your solutions. I saw things (entries) for USB under "+ USB controllers" in Device Manager. They are listed as follows: - Unknown device (this is listed 2 times) - USB Root Hub (this listed 5 times) - VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (this is listed 4 times) - VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller The only USB device permanently connected to the CPU is the printer but it does not show in Device Manager. I put a memory stick (Flash 2.0) into a USB port; it initially recognized it even though it could not open some files in it, and later reporting that the files are corrupt. I thought the printer and the memory stick should have have been picked up and listed in Device Manager under " + USB conrollers"? Please help. Thx.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No they won't be

Maybe drives show up as USB storage devices

Corrupt files will cause a problem get the files off the stick then reformat it.

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

I tried reformatting the stick (drive F on my laptop). Half-way thru, it reported that "Windows was unable to complete this format". I restarted the process but Windows reported that "This disk is write-protected". I right-clicked the stick (removalbe disk) and clicked properties to change read/write attributes, but there was no provision for that below the little properties window; it was blank. How do I remove the write protected attribute to enable me to re-format again? Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sometime there is a tiny switch on the USB stick you will need to operate.

Make / model?

Like this post
K*B

Likes # 0

No tiny switch seen on the stick. It is an "AXIZ" Flash 2.0 memory stick. 8GB memory.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you are sure that there is no write-protect switch. You can try low-level format it.

Someone had similar problem with Apacer Handy Steno HT 202 and used the lformat program provided at the website http://m3rlinez.blogspot.com/2007/01/just-rescued-my-write-protected-usb.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?