We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Use of Desktop and Laptop

chestnutcake

Likes # 0

I am asking for help on behalf of a neighbour. He has a desktop computer which is connected to his router by an ethernet cable which trails along his hall - not an ideal situation. He has just been given a present of a laptop which he wants to use in various rooms as well as continue to use his desktop in its present location. I am wondering if powerline adaptors would be the solution to this. For example TP-Link TL-PA211 Mini Twin Pack. If one of these was plugged into a wall socket near to his router and an ethernet cable was plugged into this and also into a slot in his router and then the other adaptor being plugged into a wall socket near to his desktop and again an ethernet cable connecting this and the tower unit, would this be a satisfactory thing to do?? If this was, would he then be able to pick up wifi for his laptop in other rooms without needing to be plugged in anywhere?? I hope my questions are not stupid, if they are, can anyone tell of an economical way for him not to have the trailing cable and also to get wifi access to his new laptop. Someone has told him to get a new modem/router - he has a Netgear G at present but they said exchange this for a new one - which I find strange but I am not able to say one way or another as to whether this would be the thing to do. Hoping someone can help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes he could have router in Hallway wlan connected to Powerline socket and second socket in office with cable to desktop. wirelss to laptop any where in house.

However why not connect desktop by wireless to router as well a wireless pci card or dongle is much cheaper than a pair of powerline sockets

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Fruitbat, as always, such a good help on this Forum. You will not be surprised to receive a follow up question from me. A "wireless PCI card or Dongle" any ideas of make or would it be necessary to ask at a PCShop as to what would be suitable? I take it the wireless card would go in the back of the tower unit so as to dispense with the trailing cable?? Ditto the dongle??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

wireless cards

if you don't want to open the machine then use a dongle

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another suggestion is to have a (neater) telephone extension from the original telephone point to the desktop location. Move wireless Modem / router to this location, plug in telephone extension and short ethernet cable to router (other end to desktop). Then use laptop's built in wireless card to connect to router. I have a set up like this with the desktop and modem upstairs with a B&Q telephone 10 metre extension. Better spread of wireless. I find no drop in speed compared with plugging in to telephone test socket and am getting 9.5 Mbps on a "up to 8 Mbps" package from Talk Talk.

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Thank you John for taking the trouble to respond. I will pass your advice on to my neighbour.

Fruitbat, you always come up with help, this is so much appreciated.

Thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback