We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problems activating windows xp pro with volume license

sugarbabe

Likes # 0

I have had to downgrade new toshiba laptops to windows xp to work on our server. I am now reinstalling windows xp as we have a virus problem. The laptops are in an Essex County Council School so we have an Essex Volume License for all school pc's but when microsoft asked me to activate i call the number, type in the activation code on my screen and it tells me i may be victim of counterfit software. There is no option to speak to anyone and i need help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The reason for the message “Validation Control not Installed” is because WGA is not installed. You haven't been online and validated (which would entail download & install WindowsGenuineAdvantage)

There are three steps on a normal install, Product Key, Activation, and Validation. On Royalty SLP installs the first two are automatic. VLKey installs differ slightly.

You seem to have two different PID's and product keys, are you using two different install DVD's?

Does the school / Essex council have a service agreement with ERGO.UK or are you left on your own to see to the computers?

Were the laptops supplied already downgraded to XP? If not who did them?

It does not seem right to me that they have not been supplied with correct re-install media (DVD) / restore option and full instructions. (I would be trying to find out who supplied them initially and asking for the correct media and instructions - you should not be put in this position)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I see you are getting expert help at answers.microsoft.com ClickHere that is the best way to resolve your problem.

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

Now sorted laptops thanks for all your help :)

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

In you first report you had the machine registed as VISTA.

Vista WgaER Data--> ThreatID(s): N/A Version: N/A

This is why you could not downgrade to XP (you can only upgrade). You say you have re-installed, I presume you formatted the disk and started again, removing the 'cache' for Vista.

As validation is not installed, it may time out after 30 days,then again it may not, but you may get the non-genuine message come up, however I note in the VIsta version (first diagnostic) that was not activated.

I suggest wait and see and if you get a problem,if you do, reread this post and try to install the code manually.

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sugarbabe has found and reinstalled from a Ghost Image (pre problems) so is back to original working downgrade. See page two of my link at November 4, 2011 at 4:22PM.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features