We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel Formulae please.

Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi, A simple one for you guys, I’m making a column of ‘Accountant’ numbers, that I want to alternate the colour of font and also make the previous 2 lines add up,,,, then the next,,,, then the next. It’s just a thing I’m doing for the Pub lottery, so not life threatening.

A   B

Col 1: Amount £5.00

Col 2: Balance £5.00

Col 3: Amount £4.50

Col 4: Balance £9.50

Col 5: Amount £7.00

Col 6: Balance £16.50 Etc.

I managed to make the colours alternate – to start with (Bal's in Red)

I then input =(2B+3B) then expanded it down the ‘B’ column, so that every two lines add up, (one being the previous balance).

This wiped out the colour alternations – which I can live with (I suppose) unless it can be automated.

More importantly, when I expand ‘B’ down the column, I get £16.50 at every ‘Balance’ line. This does alter when I write in the next Amount, but when I print it out, I don’t want the false balances showing.

I tried replacing the false balances with a zero, but it wiped out the formulae.

Any ideas please ?

PS: I keep losing my mouse pointer when composing these messages. Anyone else ?

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Sorry,

A was supposed to be over 'Amount'

B was supposed to be over '£5.00'

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you have columns and rows reversed.

I would have put the initial amount in Column B and the Balance in Column C. Then enter the new amount in the next row down in column B and adjust the balance. Initial balance C2=B2 Next balance is C2+B3 and so on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer