We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

webroot internet security essentials

rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hello, i have a laptop here that has webroot internet security installed i think it is a virus as it will not uninstall anyway at all , i have tried in safe mode too but it will not go, i have run Malwarebytes it found nothing, tried running it in safe mode but it gets so far then laptop switches off, even if i search for webroot files with the search facility using advanced searching everywhere on pc , it comes up with zilch, but the files are there in program files etc, is there any way to get rid of this ? thank you.
PS it is a vista operating system.

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Me again, now when i go to task manager there are these processes AEI.exe, SSU.exe these are spysweeper processes which when i try to end i get access denied, i cannot stop the service realated to them either, also there is WRconsumer process which i cannot end again i get access denied this is a webroot process, there is a WRcleanupEn process which i am not sure about, i try to go to file location and nothing happens so i don't know if its in with this webroot crap, i downloaded RKill which did not work, it did not seem to be able to find any malicious processes, if i could get these stopped i may be able to get the thing uninstalled.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Now this says trial version on it.

http://en.softonic.com/s/webroot-internet-security-essentials-free-download

If my computer I would download the trial version and the Download Revo Uninstaller to remove it.

It will usually start at the 3rd item just tick the 4th one for complete removal and remember only to remove the things in dark print.

After you remove all the dark print you may get a lot of Ad-Aware bits and pieces left over just delete those as well.

When it is removing webroot you may get a box pop up which says reboot the computer now ignore that and carry on using Revo to do the removal.

If you have not used Revo uninstaller before you get a fortnights free trial of the Pro version best using that it reverts to the free version after the fortnight.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Should have said once you remove all the dark print and press next that is when you will get all the leftover bits of Webroot which are safe to remove.

I also mentioned Ad-Aware on last post I meant Webroot.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

To uninstall Spysweeper use the instructions at the bottom of this page (Remove Webroot).

Removal tool

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

I would like to thank you all for your help, i tried the option from sea urchin, downloaded and run the removal tool, but webroot and spysweeper were still there after the window closed, then i downloaded and run Revo uninstaller pro, it got as far as deleting leftover registry files then it gave me a list of leftover files and folders , i checked them all and clicked delete, it said deleting files but the bar never moved and after five mins waiting the laptop switched off !, i am going to try and get it on in safe mode and run the uninstaller again see if it will complete this time.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe have a look through this.

http://support.webroot.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2223

It does have a removal tool so maybe worth having a go or even contact Webroot and see if they can help.

I will Need to remember never to download Webroot on to my computer

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your help, i run the Revo uninstaller again this morning, it must have not worked properly yesterday because webroot was still in the program list, but it uninstalled today, also got rid of all the leftover registry files and there were hundreds ! still stalled at deleting leftover files and folder though, when i checked the task manager processes and that damn spysweeper was still there although the webroot one was gone, so i restarted laptop and went into safe mode and tried again to end the process, this time it went , when i restarted again it was gone, so i went and manually deleted all the webroot files and folders i could find and finally got AVG installed, so thanks again, i will remember that Revo uninstaller , great program.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more