We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive letter changed without me knowing - How?

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

ALL my data files are backed up regularly to an external drive and some data files that are changed perhaps several times a day are also backed up to a memory stick automatically using AllwaySync. This has worked very well, but this morning I was checking the memory stick and found that it had not been updated for five days. Using Explorer I discovered that the memory stick drive letter was now 'G' whereas it had always been 'F'. No other drive letters have changed.'F' is not now shown at all. All drives have also labels attached to identify them. What could have caused this? No other drives have been connected or removed in the interim. Any thoughts out there?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Robinofloxley Thanks for prompt reply, however I do not understand as to how it has changed as no drives, USB items have been inserted or removed in this period.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I realise now that I did in fact connect another USB toy (Solar panel Sunny Beam)into one of the REAR USB slots for about 10 minutes on the PC. My USB memory stick is located on the front panel of the PC and is very rarely removed from that port. I have in the meantime changed the Drive letter for the USB memory stick to 'W'following comments elsewhere.

I would invite comments on my theory that the REAR ports take precedence over the ports on the front and this could have resulted in the drive change? Or am I talking rubbish?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You may find that the rear usb ports are direct from the motherboard (precedence) and the front usb ports are attached by cable (additional)?.

It as been suggested in the past, that this type of arrangement 'might' provide usb2 direct from motherboard, and possibly usb1 from cable attachment. I wouldn't really know if this is a possibility, just going on hearsay?.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Windows seems to delight in changing drive letters for no apparent reason. All versions of Windows do this. Its about time Microsoft fixed the problem!

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Just an addition to my post above. This problem is not confined to USB drives but also HDD drives. I have a number of HDDs that I connect via an e-SATA dock and I always have to check the drive letter when I connect a drive as invariably Windows has changed it. The OS seems to remember what was connected to a port and its drive letter so if you connect a different device it gives it the next vacant letter.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

spuds You would seem to confirm my belief.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

I use AllwaySync and they have this issue covered,

I'm at work now but somewhere in the settings there is an option to 'Bind to external drive characteristics' can't remember exactly where though.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Mike Iam OK on this now but would be interested to know whereabouts the option to "bind to external drive characteristics" is located as I cannot find it.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

In the nain AllwaySync window where you browse to the folders to be sync'd there are two 'configure' buttons, look there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data