We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Home/Win 7 (64bit) hookup

Newbietothis

Likes # 0

I have a laptop running Vista Home connected by wireless router,and a desktop running Win7 connected to a Canon ip4300 Pixma printer by USB . I am trying to get my laptop to print,but I keep getting either an error message or printer offline message when I try to print a test page.I have checked all the file/printer sharing boxes,etc,and have run out of ideas.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 1

Try it without passwords if you like. robinoflxley appears to be able to manage without but I have found it essential to properly network Vista & Win 7 machines enabling me to move files and open them from the other machine.

Again, install the latest Canon Driver on the laptop and connect the printer to it by USB. Then disconnect & set up the printer over the network to the original tower.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

You need to network the two computers (If you haven't already done so) and ensure that both are using the same network name. If I remember correctly the default for Vista is MSHOME but Win 7 is WORKGROUP. It doesn`t matter what the actual network name is as long as they are the same.

Another common pitfall is that on both computers all Users should have a password set up to log in with.

Thirdly, set the printer up with the correct drivers to print by USB direct to the Printer. This ensures that the drivers are held locally on the Vista laptop. Then revert to setting up the connection via the network.

Post back if you run into problems with any stage.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

How to share a printer between Wiin7 and Vista Click here

If the settings are correct and you are using different firewall not supplied via the OS check that the firewall is not blacking the connection.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

What worked for me:

Win7 laptop to Win7 Desktop (with USB Canon MP250) via router (wired and wireless)

Installed Canon on the Desktop PC only with supplied CD. Added Network Printer on laptop.

Laptop W7 automatically saw the printer over the network and installed local drivers.

(My sharing etc was already setup, I did not have passwords on user accounts at that time)

Every few weeks my printer will fail to print from laptop and I have to Start/Run services.msc and restart the Print Spooler. It will then be fine for another few weeks.

Like this post
Newbietothis

Likes # 0

**Another common pitfall is that on both computers all Users should have a password set up to log in with. Thirdly, set the printer up with the correct drivers to print by USB direct to the Printer. This ensures that the drivers are held locally on the Vista laptop. Then revert to setting up the connection via the network.** Hello: I gave the network the same name on both computers. Do I need a password at all if I am the only user of both computers? Do I set up the driver on the laptop by downloading it from Canon and connecting the printer by USB for the setup? I did download the latest driver from Canon,but left the printer connected as usual via USB to my desktop when I installed the driver on the laptop.Thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK