We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer stuck at Splash Screen

Richardflea

Likes # 0

HP COMPAQ SG3-220UK

I was using my computer as normal the other day. Browsing the internet, gaming etc. After a while, the system froze. I couldn't move the mouse and the keyboard wouldn't do anything (numlock, caps wouldn't turn on/off). The only thing I could do was to hold in the Power button to turn the thing off. After it turned off, I waited a few seconds and proceed to switch it back on again. The Compaq splash screen appeared with the words beneath. No other options such as the usual F8/F12/Esc. The computer had completely frozen. It would not progress past this screen. I could not press any keys on the keyboard to enter setup or BIOS. After waiting about 5 minutes, I had to hold the power button down again to switch it off.

Using my macbook, I've googled the problem to see if others have had it. People recommended clearing CMOS by moving the jumper to the further pins. I tried this but it failed to make a difference. After trying it yet again, the Compaq splash screen eventually showed the rest of the options (F12, Esc and such) after about 2 minutes of waiting. Windows 7 began to load and I got to the login screen. But none of my USB devices would work. My mouse was getting power as the LED was responding inside it but it wasn't moving the pointer on-screen. No lights were on the keyboard. So, I could not type in my password to log on. Again, all I could do was press the power button to shut down. I got the "Shutting down" screen for about 2 minutes. The screen then went black as if it had shut down, though then I got a BSOD stating BUGCODEUSBDRIVER.

I am stuck in this loop, if it can be called that!

I have tried starting the computer with USB, HDD, CD disconnected from the motherboard but it makes no difference. I recently upgraded to 8GB RAM (2x 4GB) so decided to put in my old 2GB alone to see if that would help but nothing changed.

For the past week that it was working, every now and again, I'd receive "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED a USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned" though all of my USB devices still worked just fine. I did notice that one of my front USB ports no longer worked and thought that it was just dying. I never used it and thought nothing of it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I do not wish to have to buy a new motherboard/PCI graphics card/disk-based OEM.

I can provide hardware details to an extent if necessary.

Richard Alexander

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Neither do I! I think I'll just have to see how it goes from here. I'm convinced it's unfixable, at least not a cheap fix.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Would anyone be interested in looking at a minidump file created by a BSOD?

I've ran one with a debugger and it points out that its caused by USB stuff but I'm no expert in debugging! If anything, it'll help someone who understands them to confirm my problem at least 99%!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sxdvr591dbg1j

There's 8 minidump files created from BSODs today.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I will have a look tomorrow as I am on the iPad now,but I fear you are grasping at straws,I think you know that it is probably a mobo fault.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Indeed. But it would be good to know for the future, especially if it has to go back to the shop at some point. Thanks for all the help though!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Ideas not mentioned:

Faulty USB keyboard 'dragging USB controller down'?

Try another keyboard. A USB PS/2 adapter maybe useful. (Are you sure you don't have a green PS2 port?)

Take a risk on buying a PCI USB card.

If you can get to a stage where keyboard works with every thing else disconnected, but booting from Repair CD, then maybe worth seeing if a Linux Live CD (eg ubuntu) would boot and load. (Try/Run from CD not Install)

If still stuck and certain that motherboard is at fault, LAST RESORT is reflow the solder in the oven (Honest!) Of course it may not work and could indeed bugger the motherboard further.

Depends how tight your pennies are.

I wonder it thermal paste under the heatsink is dried out and the things is overheating too? Probably not. Just another straw.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Just an update

I've managed to use the computer for a few days now as I normally would have before the problems. It no longer spends ages starting up (on login screen within half a minute) and it shuts down quickly without a BSOD now. I still can't enter BIOS etc but hopefully I won't have to!

Strange happenings this is but I'm happy with the OS working and such. Thanks for all the help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added