We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer stuck at Splash Screen

Richardflea

Likes # 0

HP COMPAQ SG3-220UK

I was using my computer as normal the other day. Browsing the internet, gaming etc. After a while, the system froze. I couldn't move the mouse and the keyboard wouldn't do anything (numlock, caps wouldn't turn on/off). The only thing I could do was to hold in the Power button to turn the thing off. After it turned off, I waited a few seconds and proceed to switch it back on again. The Compaq splash screen appeared with the words beneath. No other options such as the usual F8/F12/Esc. The computer had completely frozen. It would not progress past this screen. I could not press any keys on the keyboard to enter setup or BIOS. After waiting about 5 minutes, I had to hold the power button down again to switch it off.

Using my macbook, I've googled the problem to see if others have had it. People recommended clearing CMOS by moving the jumper to the further pins. I tried this but it failed to make a difference. After trying it yet again, the Compaq splash screen eventually showed the rest of the options (F12, Esc and such) after about 2 minutes of waiting. Windows 7 began to load and I got to the login screen. But none of my USB devices would work. My mouse was getting power as the LED was responding inside it but it wasn't moving the pointer on-screen. No lights were on the keyboard. So, I could not type in my password to log on. Again, all I could do was press the power button to shut down. I got the "Shutting down" screen for about 2 minutes. The screen then went black as if it had shut down, though then I got a BSOD stating BUGCODEUSBDRIVER.

I am stuck in this loop, if it can be called that!

I have tried starting the computer with USB, HDD, CD disconnected from the motherboard but it makes no difference. I recently upgraded to 8GB RAM (2x 4GB) so decided to put in my old 2GB alone to see if that would help but nothing changed.

For the past week that it was working, every now and again, I'd receive "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED a USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned" though all of my USB devices still worked just fine. I did notice that one of my front USB ports no longer worked and thought that it was just dying. I never used it and thought nothing of it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I do not wish to have to buy a new motherboard/PCI graphics card/disk-based OEM.

I can provide hardware details to an extent if necessary.

Richard Alexander

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

If you have cleared CMOS then all your BIOS settings ahve been reset to basic. You will need to enter BIOS and reset various bits and pieces.

This may well be why the USB devices are causing trouble.

If you have a manual for your board you should get some help there. If not, Google it for some instructions.

I had the same trouble a few years back and I now write down all the BIOS settings in case it happens again.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

"ahve" = have

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

That's great, but as none of the USB devices work and the computer freezes before I even see the options to press the key to enter BIOS, I cannot do much!

I shall try tomorrow. Leaving the computer for a long time the last time seemed to make it start up.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Well, leaving it overnight with the power unplugged made no difference this time. It still freezes at the startup screen.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"the computer freezes before I even see the options to press the key to enter BIOS" sounds to me to be hardware related.

Longshot... could there be a screw or wire shorting the mobo to the chassis? that would confuse normal startup.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

I'm pretty sure it's to do with the BUGCODE USB DRIVER error code when I got BSODs. I believe I received the number 5 error as described here:

http://sourcedaddy.com/windows-7/stop-0xfe-or-bugcode-usb-driver.html

The PC has been gutted, cleaned and put back together again. Still doesn't get past the Splash screen.

The last thing I want to do is let someone in a shop get their hands on it to fix.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As you are getting problems even before W7 starts loading I think you ought to remove the HDD and then troubleshoot usb in the BIOS

Checking for "Missing" USB Ports in BIOS Setup ClickHere or google for others

That's all I can think of to try next.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

From startup, none of the USB devices work at all therefore I cannot enter the BIOS because the keyboard does not respond. I dont have a PS/2 port for an older keyboard.

I have bookmarked that link you provided for the time being, in case I ever managed to get devices working to enter BIOS!

I'm uploading a video of exactly what goes on. I'll post it here as soon as it has been processed on YouTube.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sometimes a card reader can be overlooked when disconnecting all usb devices exept the keyboard. Just a thought.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

The card reader has been disconnected along with all USB devices every time.

Here is the video:

Click here for YouTube Video

The video shows what happens when the HDD is connected and recovery disk inserted into CD drive. I noticed that by leaving the splash screen on for a while, it begins to progress through the startup. It takes an unusually long time though. When the computer was working normally, startup to login screen took about 30 seconds. No USB devices work as shown in the video.

If I disconnect the HDD, the recovery disk loads. However, as no USB devices are working, I cannot select any options.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia