We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer stuck at Splash Screen

Richardflea

Likes # 0

HP COMPAQ SG3-220UK

I was using my computer as normal the other day. Browsing the internet, gaming etc. After a while, the system froze. I couldn't move the mouse and the keyboard wouldn't do anything (numlock, caps wouldn't turn on/off). The only thing I could do was to hold in the Power button to turn the thing off. After it turned off, I waited a few seconds and proceed to switch it back on again. The Compaq splash screen appeared with the words beneath. No other options such as the usual F8/F12/Esc. The computer had completely frozen. It would not progress past this screen. I could not press any keys on the keyboard to enter setup or BIOS. After waiting about 5 minutes, I had to hold the power button down again to switch it off.

Using my macbook, I've googled the problem to see if others have had it. People recommended clearing CMOS by moving the jumper to the further pins. I tried this but it failed to make a difference. After trying it yet again, the Compaq splash screen eventually showed the rest of the options (F12, Esc and such) after about 2 minutes of waiting. Windows 7 began to load and I got to the login screen. But none of my USB devices would work. My mouse was getting power as the LED was responding inside it but it wasn't moving the pointer on-screen. No lights were on the keyboard. So, I could not type in my password to log on. Again, all I could do was press the power button to shut down. I got the "Shutting down" screen for about 2 minutes. The screen then went black as if it had shut down, though then I got a BSOD stating BUGCODEUSBDRIVER.

I am stuck in this loop, if it can be called that!

I have tried starting the computer with USB, HDD, CD disconnected from the motherboard but it makes no difference. I recently upgraded to 8GB RAM (2x 4GB) so decided to put in my old 2GB alone to see if that would help but nothing changed.

For the past week that it was working, every now and again, I'd receive "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED a USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned" though all of my USB devices still worked just fine. I did notice that one of my front USB ports no longer worked and thought that it was just dying. I never used it and thought nothing of it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I do not wish to have to buy a new motherboard/PCI graphics card/disk-based OEM.

I can provide hardware details to an extent if necessary.

Richard Alexander

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

(the camera light is on which is why there is a large white spot reflecting off of the computer screen)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bug Check 0xFE: BUGCODEUSBDRIVER http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff560407.aspx

Library of Bugcheck codes http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh406232.aspx

It seems that Windows is just telling you that you have a problem with usb drivers (like you didn't already know)

Must be BIOS or hardware fault. I'm thinking would it be possible to get a usb expansion card for you to plug your keyboard & mouse into. (disconnect all onboard usb)

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

I have contemplated that idea and it looks like it's the only option at this point. My only concern is that installing a PCI card with USB ports on it would still produce the USB Driver error as it's USB-based connections that I'm installing into the board.

I suppose I'll have to purchase one to find out. Hopefully, I can get it by Friday, in which case I shall update this thread with my results.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Might as well put a new cmos battery in as well.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Yes, I considered that. Still reads a decent 3.06V but it wouldn't hurt

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Of course it could well be a faulty motherboard which I am beginning to think is more likely. But it's worth trying the PCI USB card.

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

No PCI card yet. Waiting for it to be delivered. Should hopefully come on Monday!

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Still waiting for the part! I wish companies didn't advertise their product as "available" when they don't have it in stock!

Like this post
Richardflea

Likes # 0

Well, I got the PCI card today. It has 4 USB slots on it.

Plugged it into the motherboard and connected keyboard and mouse to it. I can now use USB devices connected to it in Windows but I still cannot enter BIOS at startup. The devices only start to respond at the login screen.

With the repair disk in and HDD connected, I cant enter the repair disk because it asks me to press any key (which doesnt respond). With the repair disk in and HDD DISCONNECTED, it automatically loads the repair disk, but since the HDD isnt connected, there's no OS to select to repair.

Every time the computer shuts down, I get a BSOD after the "shutting down" screen with the same BUGCODE USB DRIVER thing. The computer proceeds to restart itself so in theory, it will never shut down unless forced by holding in the power button or pulling the power plug out.

I dont think there's much else that can be done to the system. I've tried uninstalling the USB devices from the Device Manager and it works fine until I get to one specific one. When I choose to uninstall it (by right clicking>Uninstall) it tries to uninstall it for about a minute then goes straight to a BSOD and restarts, I imagine it is this one USB device in Device Manager that is affecting the system. Every time windows starts up again, Windows automatically re-installs the USB Devices including the one I think is faulty and I dont know how to tell it not to re-install. Hope that all makes sense!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Rather than uninstall the problematic USB port, click on disable instead.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks