We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

buying new pc

mattgedd

Likes # 0

made a list of things i think r important in a pc:

hd (have HD monitor)

windows - windows 7

last as long as possible (had this one 5 years)

run smooth - lots of ram?

games - medium/low level - decent graphics. (i play xbox.)

music making - good soundcard

small internal hard drive (could i use this one?)

upgradable (for longer life)

have monitor

have external harddrive

dont need disc drive - could add later?

i mainly use my computer as a music player, and internet browser. also watch movies on it. i also used to make music. if my comp could run games i think i would play them, but i would be more interested in classic games, and continue to play xbox.

what i do now is use a small internal harddrive for all my program stuff, and my external for storage. in my head that keeps data safe. idk if that is great idea, but its been like that a while.

been looking about, but idk what all the letters and numbers really mean. i want a good computer, and i want to pay as little as possible. my budget is something like £0-£1000.

ideally would like a list of components, and the a recommended place to get them. thank you for any advice u can give.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Well, you'll get Sweet FA for Zero and a Stonking Gamer for a Grand.

I get the impression that you have not built/bought one before. Would that be correct?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

A quick spec, you can obviously tweak it to suite yourself.

CPU: i5 2500K. £161.21 LN37506

Mobo: GA-Z68P-DS3 - £75.22 LN41414

RAM: 4gb 1600mhz DDR3 - £24.48 LN37493

SSD: OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E - £82.32 LN33702

HDD: 1 x 500GB - £31.43 LN28751

PSU: EZcool 500W - £25.67 LN8039

GPU: XFX HD 6870 £137.62 LN37721

CASE: Coolermaster Elite 430 £38.38 LN34936

CD/DVD: SATA DVDRW £13.99 LN39605

Which comes to about £697.32 with postage.

The LN numbers you can just put in the search bar at Scan Computing.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry did not include sound card as have never really needed one. But I believe this is pretty good.Sound card.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

ty gengiscant, so far this is best option i have. as many idias, opinions as possible would help me understand more. ty.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

cpu (Central processing unit) mother board ram Solid-state drive Hard disk drive power supply Graphics processing unit sound card case os (CD/DVD)

so this is everything i need? am i right in thinking above set-up would work better than comp i using now, minus the GPU, sound card and cd/dvd - and possibly SSD? and at a later date i could add to it.

i had never heard of SSD before. it sounds good.

will these components fit ina smaller case? i imagine the case i use just now to be mostly empty, and doesnt look much bigger than suggested one.

ty!!!

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

* cpu (Central processing unit) mother board ram Solid-state drive Hard disk drive power supply Graphics processing unit sound card Operating system case (cd/dvd)

ment to put this at top of last post

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

** ok, i did, it just not look like list/this:

cpu (Central processing unit)

mother board

ram

Solid-state drive

Hard disk drive

power supply

Graphics processing unit

sound card

Operating system

case

(cd/dvd)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Of course you can do without the SSD, certainly do not need sound-card,your existing CD/DVD will be fine. Providing your case can take an ATX motherboard 12 × 9.6 in (305 × 244 mm)then you should be fine. Take those three out you cut £135 off the cost.

The graphics card you really do need, this will play anything you through at it. Though of course you could go for something cheaper if you are not overly concerned about playing the latest titles at high settings.

But if you are unsure please state your actual budget and I'll have another look.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

hi

will i need any cooling stuff? a while back something blew up and i was told it was because of insufficient cooling. i got a twin fan, or something.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

No you will not need any further cooling. If you want to add a couple of fans that light up, go ahead but unlees you are going to start over-clocking then the coolers that come with the case, CPU and graphics card will be fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more