We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

buying new pc

mattgedd

Likes # 0

made a list of things i think r important in a pc:

hd (have HD monitor)

windows - windows 7

last as long as possible (had this one 5 years)

run smooth - lots of ram?

games - medium/low level - decent graphics. (i play xbox.)

music making - good soundcard

small internal hard drive (could i use this one?)

upgradable (for longer life)

have monitor

have external harddrive

dont need disc drive - could add later?

i mainly use my computer as a music player, and internet browser. also watch movies on it. i also used to make music. if my comp could run games i think i would play them, but i would be more interested in classic games, and continue to play xbox.

what i do now is use a small internal harddrive for all my program stuff, and my external for storage. in my head that keeps data safe. idk if that is great idea, but its been like that a while.

been looking about, but idk what all the letters and numbers really mean. i want a good computer, and i want to pay as little as possible. my budget is something like £0-£1000.

ideally would like a list of components, and the a recommended place to get them. thank you for any advice u can give.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This is your Motherboard: Gigabyte if you click on memory support list you can download a PDF which lists the ram that has been tested to work well with this board and if you look under at the box which has 1600 at the top you will see that the RAM I have suggested has been found to be compatible with this board. You do not need anymore than 8GB.

You might want to change the mobo to this one Asus as the standard extras on a Z68 would be of no use when using a separate GPU and SSD. All your other parts will work with this board.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

cpu: i5-2500: £151.69

Mobo: GA-Z68P-DS3: £71.99

case: Coolermaster Elite 430: £35.17

optical: Lite-On IHAS122-18: £12.16

psu: Corsair TX850M: £99.99

hdd: WD Caviar 500GB (5400 RPM) SATA 6GB/s: £43.90

os: Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit: £70.92

is this good? will get everything else at later date.

£450, prob a bit of postage on top (tho all offer it free).

stil no RAM.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

that was other board i was looking at actually. but as u see from my post, i leaving GPU/SSD (for now anyways) (took 40 mins to make last post).

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

*by "is this good" i was also meaning; are these things the things i think they are - especially windows - "Service Pack 1" doesnt sound right to me.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You are beginning to lose me now. Your last post is the same ram as I had already mentioned,there Is no way that you need that PSU! windows 7 with Sp1 is correct it will save a bit of time after you install, there will not be so many updates to add via windows update.

I have noticed that your budget has taken a dive,so how much do you actually have to spend.?

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

£1000ish. i dont want to waste money tho.

u, and otehrs say ssd not very benificial. other people been saying that motherboard has GPU and i dont need seperate. i will prob buy soundcard in future (i not made music in about 6 months right now anyway). and looks like i going to save more money on PSU.

if u recomend more apropriate PSU, u think its time to buy?

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

also, i thinking now i can put it together myself. i saw a couple of videos. looks easy. just be carefull with cpu. that sound wise? i will have this cumputer so i have the internet is i have trouble with windows (never done it before - maybe it is easy [too]).

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I don't think I can give you any further advice, you must now choose your components. If you want to list your final choices,I'll give it a look over. As for building,the first time it will seem very daunting, particularly wiring the many case wires to the motherboard. But provided you are able to follow the manual that will come with the mobo exactly all will be well. Do not rush things and make sure that when you place a component in your motherboard that A: it is the right way round,B: it is seated firmly and C; if it needs a power supply that you have attached the necessary cable from the PSU. Check everything you do, watch the videos on YouTube for guidance and more importantly make sure you have plenty of time and plenty of space to work in.

Good luck with your build.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

cool! ty for all ur help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features