We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

buying new pc

mattgedd

Likes # 0

made a list of things i think r important in a pc:

hd (have HD monitor)

windows - windows 7

last as long as possible (had this one 5 years)

run smooth - lots of ram?

games - medium/low level - decent graphics. (i play xbox.)

music making - good soundcard

small internal hard drive (could i use this one?)

upgradable (for longer life)

have monitor

have external harddrive

dont need disc drive - could add later?

i mainly use my computer as a music player, and internet browser. also watch movies on it. i also used to make music. if my comp could run games i think i would play them, but i would be more interested in classic games, and continue to play xbox.

what i do now is use a small internal harddrive for all my program stuff, and my external for storage. in my head that keeps data safe. idk if that is great idea, but its been like that a while.

been looking about, but idk what all the letters and numbers really mean. i want a good computer, and i want to pay as little as possible. my budget is something like £0-£1000.

ideally would like a list of components, and the a recommended place to get them. thank you for any advice u can give.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

is the i7 2600K much better than the i5 2500K? i cant see it written anywhere but i assume u get Battlefield with it.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

is the i7 2600K much better than the i5 2500K? i cant see it written anywhere but i assume u get Battlefield with it.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

im i right in thinking everything should be built around the cpu?

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

*found this site helpfull when looking at cpu's:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

would be nice if they covered evey part.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

is the i7 2600K much better than the i5 2500K? You decide: Compare I personally say not, but I am a gamer.

im i right in thinking everything should be built around the cpu? Not sure what you mean by that.

Your third post, I use that site quite a bit. Useful for graphics cards also.

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

thank you for all ur help

what i ment was that if u buy a top of the line cpu, do u need a top of the line everything-else to run it with.

-

i think i might just buy i5 2500K now.

-

i am completely overwelmed with the different types of each component; like RAM - what would u recomend in 8B and above?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

what would u recommend in 8B and above? Sorry mate, maybe me being a bit slow can you explain what you are meaning?

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

i not sure if everything works with everything else. i as meaning, in RAM, what 'product' would u recomend, if u can, that has 8 gig (just noticed i didnt write GB - my keyboard is being weird) and more. i looking on Scan and there many different catagories of RAM.

-

on the Coolermaster Elite 430 it says "Fan Bays: 4 x 120mm, 2 x 80/92/120 mm/Fans Included: None". do i need tp buy fans? (i feel this maybe a be a silly question)

ty

Like this post
mattgedd

Likes # 0

32 or 64 bit windows?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

First I need to know what motherboard you are getting before I can advise on RAM.

If you are going to be buying 8GB RAM then install 64BIT Windows 7.

It comes with 2 fans: Front 120mm fan with brilliant Blue LED and a rear 120mm ventilation. If you want to add a couple of other 120mm LED then do so. If you like a bit of bling like I do Blue light.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite