We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

canon iP 8500 printer won't print.

denboe

Likes # 0

I've a Canon iP 8500 printer which has worked perfectly for two years. When I now want to print anything, a message appears saying, 'Operator Error' and will not print. I've tried 'Uninstall' and Reinstall, no improvement. I feel the problem lies with the printer itself. When I switch it on, it boots so far then stops the full 'switch-on' process. The green 'On' light comes on, followed by the amber light flashing five times, then back to green. This carries on indefinitely. Any advice would be appreciated.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

According to the manual Five flashes: Print Head not installed / Print Head not installed correctly / Print Head is defective

Install the Print Head. If the Print Head is already installed, remove the Print Head and check the electrical contacts for foreign matter, then reinstall.

After reinstalling the Print Head, you may need to realign it.

If this error still remains, the Print Head may be damaged. Contact a Canon service representative.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Anything further on this? I have the same printer and, as they say, "Forewarned is forearmed"

Like this post
denboe

Likes # 0

Thanks for your prompt response beeuuem.Did as you advised but the problem remains. Will do as you suggested and contact a Canon service rep. I will say, this printer has given faultless service, printing out top-quality photos, for two years plus. Hopefully it can be put back in working order without prohibitive costs.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

If it is the print head they are £100 plus to buy on ebay so is it worth repairing.When you consider the cost of a new printer.

Like this post
beeuuem

Likes # 0

It may be worth seeing if you can appeal to the 'better nature' of Canon. On the, admittedly, few occasions when I've had a problem in the past I have found them helpful by taking the line that you are a faithful customer ( true in my case)and are disappointed by the lack of durability i.e. you'd expect a print-head to last more than two years. Their numbers are 0870 5143723 or 0844369 0100 or 020 87314100 , if you are on a phone package the geographical number may be the cheaper option. Good luck.

Like this post
denboe

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your advice, very much appreciated. The advice from Canon was to contact one of their service agents. I contacted crc-tasktron on www.crc-tasktron.co.uk. The response was very quick and advised that green, followed by five flashing amber lights indicated a print head problem. I purchased a new one from this Company (on special offer) and what a relief when the printer booted up as it should do. After realigning the print head, printed out some photos, excellent quality once more. I can thoroughly recommend crc-tasktron for the first-class advice and service provided.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

crc-tasktron is the same place I got my Cannon print head from.Excellent company to deal with.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback