We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Start-up problems

hssutton

Likes # 0

Yesterday W7 was taking several minutes to start-up and 11 minutes to shut down, but has been getting very sluggish for the past few days. In the evening I decided to do a system restore using my W7 disk, this seemed to put things right.

This morning I switched on and decided to make a cuppa, on my return to the PC it was displaying a black screen with the message "Loading Windows 7". I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing happened. I did this a second time with no result so hit the reset button. The pc started it's boot-up procedure, but very slowly as though I was typing in the details. I had plenty of time to press the delete key so as to enter Bios. Making any selection in Bios took quite a time to take effect. I have 4 Sata drives none of these where displayed, I also noticed that the CPU was running quite warm, not hot, but warmer than normal.

Being extremely puzzled and not quite knowing what to do next I slipped the W7 disk in again and run the repair again. This worked and all drives where again showing in bios.

If anyone could shed any light on this I would be much obliged.

The PC is a self build and has been running perfectly OK until just recently on installing W7 and an SSD drive, although W7 has performed perfectly until a few days ago.

System Foxcon A7DA motherboard. AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.6 Ghz + 8Gb Ram. Windows 7 64bit

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I noticed you said you ran system restore and I assume the OS is on the SSD. Have a look here, Win 7 SSD set-up . I run without system restore and most programs installed on another Sata drive. Out of a 64 GB drive I have 37 GB free. Check the drive how full it is.

Occasionally I delete what's in the temp folder- C:/users//Appdata/Local/Temp. Anything it can't delete I skip.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Should be (myname) between Users and Appdata.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Yes the OS is on the SSD. My SSD is showing 37.3 Gb free of 89.4Gb. and yes I delete unwanted files or move them to another drive, I do however have all my programs running from the SSD. I think most if not all of what is suggested on your link has already been done. Restore was a slip on my part I actually meant repair

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

How about something to do with DMA/PIO mode in the BIOS?

I am not familiar at all with such stuff, just know it can cause slow transfer rates on HDDs. Does it also apply to SSDs?

Maybe somebody else knows if that is a likely suggestion?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

DMA / PIO only really applies to IDE controllers.

Do they do an IDE SSD?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

I suspect that this problem relates to the motherboards SATA controller chipset struggling to cope with a mixture of HDD, SSD, and DVD drives (assuming that your DVD drive is also SATA connected). The W7 issue is a complete red herring as the drives not showing up in the BIOS is nothing to do with the OS. The BIOS wont try to access the boot drive until it has finished its process of connecting with all the peripherals which it is obviously stuggling to do, this could account for the CPU running hotter than usual as the process is CPU intensive. A BIOS will usually pass over something that it cant connect to but in this case you may be viewing the SATA screen before it has connected as it is running slow. If the DVD is SATA connected then the fact that you have your W7 disc in the drive when you boot may be a clue i.e. it boots ok when the DVD is "live" and this triggers the pick up of the other drives.

Note that in all the suggestions below, check the BIOS screens to see what SATA drives it picks up and that it does a normal speed POST and ignore whether it boots into the OS.

Suggest the following:

1. Make sure your SSD is in the lowest numbered SATA socket or try a number of different sockets after unplugging your DVD drive (leave it unplugged).

2. Remove all the HDDs leaving the SSD in place and try a boot and if this works ok replace the HDDs one at a time until the problem recurs.

3. If you still get the problem with just the SSD installed then replace it with an HDD preferably one that you can boot from then if this is ok replace the other HDDs one at a time.

4. See if there is a driver update available for the motherboards SATA controller.

The only other thought that occurs is that as its a self build did the power supply come supplied and fitted in the case? If so it may be struggling to keep up with the power drain. Power supplies are like crash helmets, if youve got a cheap head you buy a cheap helmet.

The latter is a long shot and my bet is that its a conflict between the SSD, the HDDs, the DVD, and the SATA controller.

Hope the above helps.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen