We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

One router - 2 range extenders - is this possible?

gilliancowe

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a friend with a very large area to cover with internet.

He already has a Belkin F5D7634-4 wireless modem router.

Connected to this is a Belkin F5D7132 wired as an access point using an ethernet cable and adapter. Working perfectly.

I need to add a second Belkin F5D7132 wired as an access point using an ethernet cable and adapter. This is to give coverage in another area of the building.

My problem is this:-

Both access points work perfectly on their own.

Router - IP 192.168.2.1 Wired access point 1 - IP 192.168.2.256 Wired access point 2 - IP 192.168.2.250

Router + Wired access point 1 = WORKS Router + Wired access point 2 = WORKS

Router + Wired access point 1 + Wired access point 2 = NOTHING WORKS (router goes bonkers and all the lights flash very fast)

What do I need to change to get them all to work together?

I hope this is clear!

I have spent an hour on the phone to Belkin support, they took me through the steps to install a wireless range extender. They evidently didn't understand the question.

I posted the same question in the Belkin support website, they posted instructions to trouble shoot a router intallation. Again no understanding of the question.

I would be grateful for any help offered.

Many thanks for reading,

Gillian

Like this post
gilliancowe

Likes # 0

Sorry noticed a typo.

Wired access point 1 - IP 192.168.2.254

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Connected to this is a Belkin F5D7132 wired as an access point using an ethernet cable and adapter. Working perfectly."

I don't understand your reference to an "adapter". The Belkin F5D7132 should be connected directly to one of the router's four LAN ports, as should the second Belkin F5D7132. If you're trying to get two RJ45 LAN ports at the end of the existing ethernet cable run, by using some sort of "adapter" or cable "splitter", this isn't going to work. What you'd need to use is a Network Switch to provide additional RJ45 LAN ports.

I also note the use of IP addresses 192.168.2.254 and 192.168.2.250 - have these been manually assigned? If so, what happens if you allow the router to assign the addresses by DHCP?

Like this post
gilliancowe

Likes # 0

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

By adapter I mean a plug and ethernet cable system similar to these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4/ref=sr117?ie=UTF8&qid=1320399680&sr=8-17

Ethernet cable plugs into the back of the router and into the plug adapter, plug adapter is plugged in to the power supply. The room with the repeater has a plug adapter plugged into the power supply, then an ethernet cable into the back of the repeater unit. This configuration works perfectly for each individual repeater, internet access is perfect. It's only when both ethernet cables are plugged in to the back of the router at the same time that is stops working.

"The Belkin F5D7132 should be connected directly to one of the router's four LAN ports, as should the second Belkin F5D7132."

I can't connect directly into the Belkin router because the range extenders are designed to be used away from the router to give greater coverage. They are usually set up wirelessly but can be wired as an access point - this is what I am trying to do. If they were plugged into the back of the router then they would need to be in the same room as the router so would serve no purpose.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wireless-Universal-Range-Extender/dp/B000IE8STS/ref=sr11?ie=UTF8&qid=1320399897&sr=8-1

"I also note the use of IP addresses 192.168.2.254 and 192.168.2.250 - have these been manually assigned?"

The IP address 192.168.2.254 is the default IP for the range extender, it's what is assigned out of the box. I manually set 192.168.2.250 this was an attempt to get things working.

Realistically what I want to do should work, I'm sure I just need to tweak settings. Just not sure what!

Gillian

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I hadn't appreciated from your initial posting that you were using HomePlug adapters via the mains wiring.

From your last posting though you say "It's only when both ethernet cables are plugged in to the back of the router at the same time that it stops working." As you're using HomePlug adapters, there should only be the one ethernet cable from the Router, which goes to a HomePlug. This single connection will service the two HomePlugs in the remote locations. Do you have it set up differently?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)