We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel Formula ~ Please

wee eddie

Likes # 0

I am recording Daily Hours worked in the following way: B1-A1=C1

Where A & B are the Start and Finish Times and C is the number of Hours Worked. These are in the Format 00:00:00 which gives a total of Daily Hours Worked in the Format 00:00:00

The problem: How do I add these up, to give a Weekly Total of Hours Worked.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I believe it's custom Format all cells as [h]:mm or if you want the seconds as well then [h]:mm:ss

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Perhaps I should have said.

How do I add up the C Column?

The Formula that I have tried is =sum(C1:C7) but this does not produce the correct figure.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Maybe I should also have written hh:mm:ss rather that 00:00:00 but I had assumed that that was, sorta, obvious.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No the =sum(C1:C7) is okay, it's the hh should be [h]

wrong Format 00:00:00 which gives a total of Daily Hours Worked in the Format 00:00:00

should be Format [h]:mm which gives a total of Daily Hours Worked in the Format [h]:mm

or if you want the seconds as well [h]:mm:ss

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I'm not an expert, it might be okay just to format the final total cell as [h]:mm I tried it like that and it works but I found it easier to format them all. The square brackets are what you want.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It just occurred to me, can I check that you are highlighting the cells and rightclicking and choosing 'Format Cells' and 'Number tab' in order to change cells to 'time' format.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Start time:~ 16:30:00 e.g. 4.30pm

Finish time:~ 03:25:00, e.g. 3.25am, the following morning

Total Hours:~ 10:55:00

As I type this I have realised that I will have to decimalise the "Hours Worked Column" (C), possibly in an hidden Column, before I can do this calculation.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, B1-A1 goes over the midnight

you might be better to download a template http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/CT010117277.aspx?av=ZXL

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I got it, try this it works for me

A1,A2,A3,A4 custom format to dd/mm/yy hh:mm

B1,B2,B3,B4 custom format to dd/mm/yy hh:mm

C1,C2,C3,C4 custom format to hh:mm

(Total in C5) C5 custom format to [h]:mm

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it's only a small part of a, much, much larger, Stats Sheet.

I was trying to get Weekly Totals as Daily Totals are not a reliable comparison, Year on Year that is, and mean little, as there are far too many variables.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July