We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keep losing online connection

brindly

Likes # 0

I will have to make this quick becAUSE i CAN'T GUARENTEE TO BE ABLE TO STAY ONLINE. For the past tree days i have experienced the connection of online to keep dropping off once connected, then also the phone line has noise on it and we discovered we were not receiving incomg call but could make outgoing calls. I contacted TalkTalk and they did a line check, said nothing was wrong, told me to contact the engineer and talk to them. At the moment the connection has lasted about 45 min so maybe its back to normal but I can't rely on it. Any suggestions for the next time it goes wrong. I did all the usual checks, filters phone connections, even changing the phone for a corded one, then changed the cable connection to my laptop and completely disconnected the desk top, didn't make any difference. Stumped!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

In future I would check with your neighbours to see if they are experiencing any trouble like the one you describe. It may be that phone line maintenance has been occurring in your Area which has affected you.

You can of course check the Service Status via Talk Talk as in this link enter link description here

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Yes, good idea, the problem is so frustrating, as I am writing this the connection has gone, the ADSL light is flashing and the online light is out, the connection seems to last just a few seconds until i click a link, its back. Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried the help line and the connection was so bad they had difficulty hearing what I was saying, spent 30 min waiting nand then she passed me over to a thechnician where I had to wait another 30 minutes and i just mabaged to tell him what the problem was when the line changed and |i was being asked to complete a survey, oops its gone again. Tried ringing them again but too busy ring back!!! Got to wait now until the connection comes back

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Checked with neighbours, no problems so I contacted BT because i thought they should get some of my grief, almost impossible to get a number to actual speak to someone, did an online chat and managed to send an email complaining about TT and not being able to cure the problem, blaming BT for the bad job they made of the moving of the telephone cables. Same old reply, they can't do any tests get TT to do them so I sent TT a blistering email. Not sure if it is permanant but eveything seems normal again whether it will stay that way who knows. Any way I decided to order some new filter/splitters to see if that helps.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Having the exact same problem for the last couple of days.particularly bad today but I am using Virginmedia and not talk talk.

Maybe a bug going about or maybe just coincidence.

Like this post
LANDCRUISER

Likes # 0

i also have been disconneted a lot with aol recently, ie would go off also getting a lot of internet traffic showing in task manager

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen