We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless signal takesages to be recognised

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

My daughter has an old computer with XP on it.

It takes about 3 minutes just to make a connection using a D-link usb connector.

She only has about 6 things on msconfig start up.

Just wondering if there was a way for the Wireless connection to open first instead of last all of the time.

Router upstairs computer downstairs.It is always a good signal connection.Noticed that my grand daughter has opened a new user account on it would that make it slower to start.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok found the main culprit.MSE real time protection.

Turned that off and everything is working much quicker.

So will have a look to see what I download in place of MSE.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

For XP use Avast

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Ok was thinking about doing that.I have had problems before with MSE Real Time protection I should have known to look there first.

I managed to get Avast Internet security free for 1 year and I am quite impressed with it.

Never tried the free version before but will give it a go.Thanks.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Odd - never had a problem with MSE on XP.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

This is a really old computer with XP on it and it does not take much for the CPU to be running at 100%.

Just open task Manager and open a few different pages or update some of your other programs and And MSE jumps in and and the computer starts struggling.

Turn off the Real time protection on MSE and no problems at all.

I am afraid MSE has got to go.Maybe ok on certain computers but not on my daughters or my Sons.

Basically I have never been that keen on MSE it is like some of the other Microsoft programs.{Windows Defender ] Being another which I never ever liked.

It is the right price free.But there must be far better security programs out there.Just a matter of finding the one that works best.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast as real time antispvirus + antispy

Defender as another antispy

MAlware bytes / SAS as backup sanners

All work well taking up little resources on my P4 3GHz 1.5G ram XP.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I use ClamAV on a 10 yr old XP laptop with bugger all memory. It's the only one that works on that machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback